Relationship with god Watch

Mixedraceguy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I feel like I should connect to God and the best way to do that is to buy a bible and start going to a church right but I genuinely don't know what kinda church I wanna go to I think the local one is a methodist according to Google maps but surely I should study the different types of churches before I go to one so I can make a decision and which Church is best imo? Take into consideration I'm mixed race half British quarter carribean and quarter liberian I'm not sure if that will make a big difference but it might also do you feel that faith in God will help me to get better abs and reach my potential in my studies and my fitness?
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mixedraceguy)
So I feel like I should connect to God and the best way to do that is to buy a bible and start going to a church right but I genuinely don't know what kinda church I wanna go to I think the local one is a methodist according to Google maps but surely I should study the different types of churches before I go to one so I can make a decision and which Church is best imo? Take into consideration I'm mixed race half British quarter carribean and quarter liberian I'm not sure if that will make a big difference but it might also do you feel that faith in God will help me to get better abs and reach my potential in my studies and my fitness?
The best way to connect with God is to believe in Jesus, ask him to forgive you of your sin and start following him. All else is pointless man made religion

Faith in God alone won't really help you achieve better abs or reach your full potential academically but hard work and persistence will
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You must be desperate - of course not or there would be more fit Christians
Leviathan1611
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
start by getting saved and becoming a child of God, here's a video of the Bible way to heaven:

https://youtu.be/F8owXQ2QyvA

also, get yourself a King James Bible and read it cover-to-cover to get the whole picture of who God is🙂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
The best way to connect with God is to believe in Jesus, ask him to forgive you of your sin and start following him. All else is pointless man made religion

Faith in God alone won't really help you achieve better abs or reach your full potential academically but hard work and persistence will
Having a Bible would help though right?
Yeah sure for these things I think I need faith in God, myself and persistent hardwork with the addition of making good and relevant choices
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
You must be desperate - of course not or there would be more fit Christians
I'm desperate to live my best life
Wouldn't having faith in God give me strength, help me to believe in myself more and motivation to work harder every day?
Last edited by Mixedraceguy; 4 weeks ago
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Having a Bible is very important for a christian (the translation doesn't really matter because the Holy Spirit will work through any translation) but the most important part of having a relationship with God is recognising you have sinned against God and for that reason you are deserving of God's judgement and hell. The good news is that Jesus came to die on the cross to relieve you of God's wrath. Ask Jesus for forgiveness and repent of your sin
Having a Bible would help though right?
Yeah sure for these things I think I need faith in God, myself and persistent hardwork with the addition of making good and relevant choices
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm desperate to live my best life
Wouldn't having faith in God give me strength, help me to believe in myself more and motivation to work harder every day?
I don't think so but I could be wrong. I think you should believe in yourself anyway - why not? If you live a decent life you have no reason to worry about your "best life", make the most of the life you already have. Plenty of religious people are unhappy - turning to God can't solve all your problems, you should just learn to accept yourself as you are with all your strengths and weaknesses
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ding ding ding, it’s like a religious conversion assembly here.

‘Follow our God!’ ‘No his God is fake, follow our God’ ‘No your God is fake!’ ‘No my book says yours is’, ‘my book says the same’.
Last edited by TheNamesBond.; 4 weeks ago
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
Having a Bible is very important for a christian (the translation doesn't really matter because the Holy Spirit will work through any translation) but the most important part of having a relationship with God is recognising you have sinned against God and for that reason you are deserving of God's judgement and hell. The good news is that Jesus came to die on the cross to relieve you of God's wrath. Ask Jesus for forgiveness and repent of your sin
I feel that if I was to obtain a Bible from a church I would have to join the church though I wouldn't mind as I could potentially make new friends from the church
And how often would you recommend I should ask Jesus for forgiveness?
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
start by getting saved and becoming a child of God, here's a video of the Bible way to heaven:

https://youtu.be/F8owXQ2QyvA

also, get yourself a King James Bible and read it cover-to-cover to get the whole picture of who God is🙂
What's a king James Bible?
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No need to do that; just buy one off the internet, I'd recommend NIV version

You should ask for forgiveness every time you sin but after you've done it the first time you should receive the Holy Spirit and become a child of God
I feel that if I was to obtain a Bible from a church I would have to join the church though I wouldn't mind as I could potentially make new friends from the church
And how often would you recommend I should ask Jesus for forgiveness?
morebless14
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m glad to have found a forum whereby people actually believe in salvation. Jesus died for all of us to have a fulfilled eternal life: we are all able to receive this by trusting in God. To ask for forgiveness this would involve first declaring to God that you know you are a sinner, then asking for God to forgive you for all the sins you can name that you know you commit but also the sins that you used to commit in the past and the sins you have forgotten about. Then you are able to declare that you accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. You are now saved. To sustain your salvation this would involve mediating consistently on the Word of God: it is very easy, inspiring and effective in your daily life. Do this every morning and night eg prayer, studying a KJV bible or listening to worship songs or sometimes I like to just have a conversation with God. You learn a lot about yourself in the process and the role of God in your life. Trust me this step you are taking in your life is going to be greatest pivot of your life. You are going to be weakening armour of God and protected from the evil things of this world. I pray that it works out. God Bless xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
No need to do that; just buy one off the internet, I'd recommend NIV version

You should ask for forgiveness every time you sin but after you've done it the first time you should receive the Holy Spirit and become a child of God
Right are they expensive? The only thing is I don't really have any Christian friends to chill with that's one reason I had the idea of going to church
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want to speak to God, I have just the solution GOD
Through the miracle of the Holy TSR, He shall appear! :call2:

AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can probably find a second hand one on Amazon for a few quid. No need to buy a brand spanking new Bible, the word of God is still the same. Going to church is a brilliant way to meet fellow christians in the flesh
Right are they expensive? The only thing is I don't really have any Christian friends to chill with that's one reason I had the idea of going to church
PurpleHills
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think if you want to get to understand the Bible and actually study the Word, a study Bible is recommended. I have one and it cost me about £23.00.

You can also download YouVersion, the Bible App and there's various plans etc that can help you study the Bible and reflect on yourself and relationship with God.
In terms of Church, it really depends on what you believe (as some denominations believe different things) and on your style of practice e.g. do you like traditional/ formal services or a more laid back, interactive service.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Seriously, though, I used to go to a Methodist church whilst I was at uni. I liked it because it was simple and informal.. religion without all the trappings. I also visited my old C of E church today. The lady was so welcoming and told me about the many different activities for young people. The churches tend to be full of young people in big cities, if that is where you live.
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
Ah so methodist good right? I'm 17 and I live in Leicester which is a city, what kind of events and activities are there for young people?
Seriously, though, I used to go to a Methodist church whilst I was at uni. I liked it because it was simple and informal.. religion without all the trappings. I also visited my old C of E church today. The lady was so welcoming and told me about the many different activities for young people. The churches tend to be full of young people in big cities, if that is where you live.
God has a tsr account? 😂😂🤔🤔
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PurpleHills)
I think if you want to get to understand the Bible and actually study the Word, a study Bible is recommended. I have one and it cost me about £23.00.

You can also download YouVersion, the Bible App and there's various plans etc that can help you study the Bible and reflect on yourself and relationship with God.
In terms of Church, it really depends on what you believe (as some denominations believe different things) and on your style of practice e.g. do you like traditional/ formal services or a more laid back, interactive service.
Laid back would be more entertaining
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (550)
37.8%
No - but I will (114)
7.84%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.35%

Watched Threads