The interactionist approach. Watch

mini.me
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone could help me, i'm currently studying the interactionist approach in schizophrenia and in there it says that the diathesis stress model is part of the interactionist approach. What is the relationship between the two? like is the interactionist approach an umbrella term that diathesis stress falls under? I understand why they're together.just not the relationship between them...
Acetyl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The model links external factors (environment) to predisposing psychology (and biological) factors which leads to the presentation of the symptoms etc.

For example, the individual is in a situation where family dysfunction is high and it is very stressful. This external factor triggers the predisposing psychological (and biological) factors which lead to the onset of the symptoms etc.

It can be argued that an individual with greater / more significant predisposing factors needs a weaker external factor to trigger the onset of the symptoms. Likewise, those with fewer / less significant predisposing factors need a far stronger external factor.

The image below outlines it well, the biological detail isn't needed for A-level (in this diagram):

Acetyl
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Removed, accidental double-post).
mini.me
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much, this was great! Are you doing a psychology degree?
(Original post by Acetyl)
The model links external factors (environment) to predisposing psychology (and biological) factors which leads to the presentation of the symptoms etc.

For example, the individual is in a situation where family dysfunction is high and it is very stressful. This external factor triggers the predisposing psychological (and biological) factors which lead to the onset of the symptoms etc.

It can be argued that an individual with greater / more significant predisposing factors needs a weaker external factor to trigger the onset of the symptoms. Likewise, those with fewer / less significant predisposing factors need a far stronger external factor.

The image below outlines it well, the biological detail isn't needed for A-level (in this diagram):

Acetyl
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mini.me)
Thank you so much, this was great! Are you doing a psychology degree?
Nope! I study chemistry at university but if you have any questions relating to a psych degree I could ask my friend who does.

I did A-level psych and got an A, I remember most things and find psych interesting.
mini.me
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Well i had a few questions regarding postgraduate options? Like whats the difference between a clinical therapist and a psychotherapist? Also, i know you have to do some work experience to gain entry onto a postgrad course in psych so how long do you think that would take and what is the best experience to get?

Also could you help me with some chemistry? I find the physical chemistry quite hard, like the whole equilibrium and rates thing?
Thanks so much! Good luck with your course!
(Original post by Acetyl)
Nope! I study chemistry at university but if you have any questions relating to a psych degree I could ask my friend who does.

I did A-level psych and got an A, I remember most things and find psych interesting.
Last edited by mini.me; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (373)
37.3%
No - but I will (76)
7.6%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.1%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (480)
48%

Watched Threads