tomsmith12345911
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I was applying to this university for medicine, which is new so they only accept home students. However, they didn't define "home" and "overseas" on their website, so I asked UCAS directly. They directed me to the university, which replied with "If you have a British passport you are considered a home student". I has a British passport so I applied. Please note this email was sent before the UCAS deadline and had an effect on my choices.
However, I got rejected because I didn't meet the "residency requirements" of 3 years, even though such a criteria was not mentioned in the initial email.
I feel really lost and need some advice. Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tomsmith12345911)
So I was applying to this university for medicine, which is new so they only accept home students. However, they didn't define "home" and "overseas" on their website, so I asked UCAS directly. They directed me to the university, which replied with "If you have a British passport you are considered a home student". I has a British passport so I applied. Please note this email was sent before the UCAS deadline and had an effect on my choices.
However, I got rejected because I didn't meet the "residency requirements" of 3 years, even though such a criteria was not mentioned in the initial email.
Make a complaint, but its the university which decides what your fee status is.
You would only be given home status if you are UK or EU citizen with 3 months residence.
Its well known, on the website and quoted here many times a week.
Which medical school is it?
You can make a complaint if you wish , but it wouldnt make much difference as if you dont have residence then you will be classed as an international student and pay international fees without resort to student finance. This will apply to all your other courses as well.

Where have you been living for the last 3 years?

Medicine is a vocation, so I would just use up the 3 years get the grades and apply when you meet the requirements.

I dont feel youve been scammed at all. You havent done enough research and it looks like you arent eligible for student finance just yet. Ofc you could be saying you were prepared to pay international fees?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which university is this? Are you an EU or International resident.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doones)
Already asked that.
tomsmith12345911
Rep:
?
It's Sunderland University

I asked both UCAS and the medical school council. They've both said is almost always 3 years BUT it might vary by university, hence the initial email.

I've failed to find the very definition of home and overseas on the website, but this does not permit to medical school to send me false information. I will post emails as evidence later.
tomsmith12345911
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Make a complaint, but its the university which decides what your fee status is.
You would only be given home status if you are UK or EU citizen with 3 months residence.
Its well known, on the website and quoted here many times a week.
Which medical school is it?
You can make a complaint if you wish , but it wouldnt make much difference as if you dont have residence then you will be classed as an international student and pay international fees without resort to student finance. This will apply to all your other courses as well.

Where have you been living for the last 3 years?

Medicine is a vocation, so I would just use up the 3 years get the grades and apply when you meet the requirements.

I dont feel youve been scammed at all. You havent done enough research and it looks like you arent eligible for student finance just yet. Ofc you could be saying you were prepared to pay international fees?
My main concern is not finance, but rather the fact the reject all international applicants.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's Sunderland University

I asked both UCAS and the medical school council. They've both said is almost always 3 years BUT it might vary by university, hence the initial email.

I've failed to find the very definition of home and overseas on the website, but this does not permit to medical school to send me false information. I will post emails as evidence later.
And are you resident in the EU or International?
tomsmith12345911
Rep:
?
Sunderland University. I was born in the UK and have a British passport, but have only been here since summer 2017.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Using the word scammed is misleading, you just got wrong information.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sunderland University. I was born in the UK and have a British passport, but have only been here since summer 2017.
And where have you been living?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
My main concern is not finance, but rather the fact the reject all international applicants.
Because its a new school, then that information isnt available.
They take some international students as its mentioned in their brochure, but that might mean EU rather than non eu students. They dont seem to take an awful lot of international students, although its cheap.

If you had posted on here you would have been certainly told you would be classes as an international student had had no access to student loans.
If you had checked student finance this would have been the same.

You can make a complaint if you wish, but I cant see to what end?
I dont see how you were scammed. If your version is correct then someone gave you the incomplete answer. Some basic research would have raised those questions.
tomsmith12345911
Rep:
?
Because its a new school, then that information isnt available.
They take some international students as its mentioned in their brochure, but that might mean EU rather than non eu students. They dont seem to take an awful lot of international students, although its cheap.

If you had posted on here you would have been certainly told you would be classes as an international student had had no access to student loans.
If you had checked student finance this would have been the same.

You can make a complaint if you wish, but I cant see to what end?
I dont see how you were scammed. If your version is correct then someone gave you the incomplete answer. Some basic research would have raised those questions.
Like I said before, getting into the course itself is more important than the financial side of things.

I asked them via the email on their website in order to ensure the correct was received. While this forum may contain many helpful users, it's not quite the same as from an official source.
tomsmith12345911
Rep:
?
And where have you been living?
Lancaster since summer 2017, Hong Kong before then
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like I said before, getting into the course itself is more important than the financial side of things.

I asked them via the email on their website in order to ensure the correct was received. While this forum may contain many helpful users, it's not quite the same as from an official source.
The NHS caps places heavily for international Medicine applicants.

Also didn't your other choices tell you or have info indicating you would be treated as international?

Do you have any medschool offers at all? If not, it's unsurprising and choosing a different medschool is unlikely to have made a huge difference in your case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
999tigger
Report 1 year ago

And does the email confirm that you would be considered a home student if you had just a passport? if so make a complaint.

I didnt say it was the same, just pointing out you would have received the correct answer or had the issues raised.

PS Doonesmakes a good point. What did the other med schools say the class of student you were? Home or international?
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
tomsmith12345911
Rep:
?
Name:  Screenshot_2019-03-27-00-41-47-952_com.miui.gallery-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  107.5 KB
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Name:  Screenshot_2019-03-27-00-41-47-952_com.miui.gallery-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  107.5 KB
Thanks for that. I would make a complaint. The problem is Sunderlands website is a bit simple at the best of days and they havent incorporated the medicine course properly.

What did your other three choices say about your status?
tomsmith12345911
Rep:
?
Thanks for that. I would make a complaint. The problem is Sunderlands website is a bit simple at the best of days and they havent incorporated the medicine course properly.

What did your other three choices say about your status?
2 of them have rejected me. The third one is still "making decisions", which sounds like a long and painful reject letter. I've got a backup for biomed at Newcastle.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
2 of them have rejected me. The third one is still "making decisions", which sounds like a long and painful reject letter. I've got a backup for biomed at Newcastle.
And none of them raised the issue of your student status or sent you fee status questionnaires?

I think you can speak to these people.

You can receive advice as to the operation of the procedure from the Student
Casework Manager, in Academic Registry. Telephone 01915152941 or email
[email protected].

So does that mean you are prepared to pay international fees, even for Biomed?
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
tomsmith12345911
Rep:
?
The NHS caps places heavily for international Medicine applicants.

Also didn't your other choices tell you or have info indicating you would be treated as international?

Do you have any medschool offers at all? If not, it's unsurprising and choosing a different medschool is unlikely to have made a huge difference in your case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One other medical school sent me a massive form which I had to fill in. The other 2 didn't even reply to my emails.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads