Have i messed up by not picking a language and doing History,Geography and R.E Watch

a normal guy lol
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have heard by many people that choosing a language at gcse is essential but i just didn't enjoy it and wasn't good at it.Will this hurt my chances of getting into a good college or uni?.I also picked three humanities.Will this be too much of a workload to handle?.
PurpleHills
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
To be honest, not really. Having a GCSE in a language is always useful, but the utility of it wears off quickly once you stop practicing.

GCSE is only required if you want to do the language A Level etc.
mollythec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
GCSE's are really only going to help you get into college, after that the subjects you do are pretty much irrelevant. Of course it's nice to be able to speak another language but trust me, you'd forget most of it when you finished the course anyway. The subjects you have chosen are all respectable and you're better off having good grades in them than doing a language for the sake of it and getting a poor grade. When it comes to applying to uni your GCSE grades or subjects really do not matter (oxford and cambridge may be an exception to this but I'm not entirely sure) so don't worry about that.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you want to pursue languages in A level or beyond then choosing a language at GCSE is required.

But if you don't want to do anything related to languages it does not matter what you take, you can still get into any college/university, if you meet the grade requirements.

But do you have a vague idea of what you want to do in university or beyond? So we can make any changes if needed.
Last edited by kurro; 4 months ago
a normal guy lol
Rep:
?
Thanks for your advice,i feel way more confident about my subjects now.
学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by a normal guy lol)
I have heard by many people that choosing a language at gcse is essential but i just didn't enjoy it and wasn't good at it.Will this hurt my chances of getting into a good college or uni?.I also picked three humanities.Will this be too much of a workload to handle?.
A language at GCSE is only essential for 2 things: further study in languages (which it doesn't seem you'd be keen on doing), and studying at UCL (even then there's an alternative route). As long as neither of these apply, and your school doesn't make you do it, there's no reason to take a language.

Geog, Hist and RE can be a lot of work, but the same could be said for most GCSEs nowadays. That choice is fine.
username4182454
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
From my current perspective I wish I didn't need to do French at GCSE. I would've been much better off without it to focus on more useful subjects.
But at the end of the day, do you want to do French when you can actually put that time into excelling into other subjects.
a normal guy lol
Rep:
?
Thanks alot for your responses,UCL is actually an option i had in mind when i get to choosing a uni but im sure ill be able to get a course in a language if i get good grades in my subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%