sy212
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello all,
I have received offers from both Queen Mary and Southampton for Psychology. Both have grade requirements of AAB, but I’m completely unsure as to which one I should firm. I’m not talking about the places themselves, really, or the living costs of London, but rather which university is better in terms of student support/ careers guidance/ student life etc.? Queen Mary is obviously bigger than Southampton, and therefore might be a little less personal. Any thoughts?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sy212)
Hello all,
I have received offers from both Queen Mary and Southampton for Psychology. Both have grade requirements of AAB, but I’m completely unsure as to which one I should firm. I’m not talking about the places themselves, really, or the living costs of London, but rather which university is better in terms of student support/ careers guidance/ student life etc.? Queen Mary is obviously bigger than Southampton, and therefore might be a little less personal. Any thoughts?
Student satisfaction scores are never brilliant at the large London Unis and although QMUL is better than most using this measure, it still doesn't score as highly as Southampton. The highest scores for student satisfaction tend to be at small campus unis outside of London, so statistically at least, you are more likely to enjoy the student life at Southampton.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sy212)
Hello all,
:confused:
Both QMUL and Southampton have 25,000 students. They’re the same size (although QMUL has a much higher proportion of commuter students so it might feel like fewer students).
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And looking at the course stats on unistats the psychology course at Southampton has double the intake of the QMUL course. So QMUL is likely to be smaller group sizes.
Marcus_:D
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My sister is on her last year at QMUL and she says that they offer the best support for work experience opportunities to help you post-university. They hold one or two days of uni focussed on partners and companies to come in for student opportunities. Student support is the usual no complaints from her and she lives at home to study.

On the other hand, I’m applying to Southampton for the experience outside of home and I feel like pushing myself (my offer is a couple of grades higher).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads