The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Uni

So six months after applying to Durham for history I got rejected...

I got 10 A*s at gcse and predicted 3 A* at A level.

I got offers from St Andrews, Edinburgh and Exeter.

I also applied to Oxford and got an interview but didn’t get in

Durham Uni said my personal statement didn’t show accurate reflection of the subject but my teachers said it was good and I got an Oxford interview with it..

Apart from my statement being bad anyone know reasons why I might have been rejected???
Reply 1
I'm not an admissions tutor but every uni looks at personal statements with their own criteria. Maybe your personal statement was good but it didn't meet Durham's criteria?
Original post by RJD01

Durham Uni said my personal statement didn’t show accurate reflection of the subject but my teachers said it was good and I got an Oxford interview with it..

Apart from my statement being bad anyone know reasons why I might have been rejected???
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Don’t Durham require a separate PS from the UCAS one?
I’m sorry to hear that. I think they have so many applications for History. Doesn’t seem fair with such amazing grades. What else can you do to get an offer I wonder. At least you have offers from other amazing unis and you’ll have an amazing time wherever you go. Good luck x
Original post by RJD01

Reply 4
Only some colleges allow that ours doesn’t :frown:
Original post by BedfordMom
Don’t Durham require a separate PS from the UCAS one?
Reply 5
Thank you! It’s annoying because I seemed to have met their requirements
Original post by Springhope
I’m sorry to hear that. I think they have so many applications for History. Doesn’t seem fair with such amazing grades. What else can you do to get an offer I wonder. At least you have offers from other amazing unis and you’ll have an amazing time wherever you go. Good luck x
I’d imagine it was the personal statement - that’s why I got rejected as well when I applied. Your A-level predicted grades are outstanding, and if you achieve them you would be in a very strong position to re-apply (as well as writing a new statement based on the feedback, which you can request online - they’ll start sending detailed feedback from the start of April) if you want. As they’re predicted grades, they won’t necessarily give you an advantage over applicants predicted A*AA.

Are you thinking of firming St Andrews? It’s an outstanding achievement to get an offer from them, as their History course is also highly competitive. St Andrews has lots of quirky traditions, so you’ll have a very unique student experience there (which is why it was ranked best in the UK for student satisfaction last year - again! The History department is also amazing! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending