The Student Room Group

Training Contract chances for an International Student

Hello,

I am currently on the LLM LPC (LLM Top-Up) at Wolverhampton University and expecting a distinction, as I have done well in my first semester. Although I am likely to receive a distinction, I am worried that the electives that were available to me are not that attractive to magic circle firms. I am also worried that MC firms will only recruit from the top half of universities.

I am from Mongolia and only last year decided to stay in the UK. This put me at a disadvantage because I discovered that I could only apply to firms with a tier-2 sponsor license and those firms recruit 2 years in advance.

I completed my LLB at Wolverhampton University and achieved a 1st. I am worried that although I received a 1st, magic circle firms are going to be turned off by me attending Wolverhampton University.

In terms of languages, I have native English because I lived in the UK for 5 years from nursery to primary. I have native Mongolian also but I don't think this would be attractive to law firms.

In terms of work experience:
- A week of work experience at a mid tier firm.
- A month of volunteering at the Legal Advice Centre.
- A month at a large Mongolian corporate law firm.
- 2 months at the Ministry of Justice and Home Affairs in Mongolia.
- 2 months as a fundraiser.
- A week of work experience at Irwin Mitchell.

I have applied to around 10 MC firms waiting to hear from 5 but got rejected on the other 5. I was able to pass onto the critical thinking stage for Mills & Reeve, but failed on the CT test.

I am worried that I am running out of time and feel hopeless. Also it would be great if anyone has any tips.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending