The Student Room Group

One large pupil

My son is taking time off uni due to kidney problems. At a check last week the consultant noticed that one pupil is twice the size of the other. He said that this could possibly be a brain tumour or a mild stroke. Son is seeing the neuro people later, but is very worried.
What less nasty reasons would cause this?
Original post by Matureb
My son is taking time off uni due to kidney problems. At a check last week the consultant noticed that one pupil is twice the size of the other. He said that this could possibly be a brain tumour or a mild stroke. Son is seeing the neuro people later, but is very worried.
What less nasty reasons would cause this?

Nobody here can tell you, it's best to wait until you speak to the professional and get accurate advice. I hope your son makes a full recovery.
there are many benign causes of this symptom. exposure to the chemicals in pet flea treatments can cause it:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaophthalmology/fullarticle/270415
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
there are many benign causes of this symptom. exposure to the chemicals in pet flea treatments can cause it:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaophthalmology/fullarticle/270415

Let’s hope so. The cat did get a good spraying last week. Thanks.
Original post by Matureb
Let’s hope so. The cat did get a good spraying last week. Thanks.

There are lots of reasons. It could even be that his pupils have always been different sizes but no one has picked up on it.
Reply 5
He is back from the neurological department. It seems to be something called functional neurological disorder. On top of his minimal change disease, he is not doing too well. A quick google seems to suggest that there is no cure.
Original post by Matureb
He is back from the neurological department. It seems to be something called functional neurological disorder. On top of his minimal change disease, he is not doing too well. A quick google seems to suggest that there is no cure.

Is it affecting him in any way other than having a large pupil?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Is it affecting him in any way other than having a large pupil?

The pupil is back to normal now. He has constant headaches and has trouble sleeping due to his legs twitching violently (not restless legs). Pain in left arm and left buttock.

Quick Reply

Latest