IB EE biology ideas? Watch

Shahdbabatin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I’m an IB year 1 student and i want to do my EE on biology.
I’m very passionate on the topic of oncology and it was my first pick. How we, i was told that the topic is too broad on its own and I’m struggling to narrow it down. Any ideas?
artful_lounger
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your teacher is right as "oncology" is far too broad on it's own. It's huge sector of academic research, spanning molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, developmental biology, as well as medical sciences and exists as part of dozens of professional medical specialties as well as two full specialties only focusing on oncology (medical vs clinical oncology). You need something very specific for an EE, it's only 4000 words! You couldn't hope to summarise the full scope of contemporary work done in oncology in a non-trivial way in that word limit.

I'd suggest talking to your teachers about possible topics and how the EE is structured and assessed. It may have changed since I did IB, but when I was doing it science EEs (i.e. group 4 EEs) were expected (and possibly required by the rubric for EEs; I know economics EEs for example required the student to collect primary data, and several other subjects had specific requirements too) to be experimental, and it was essentially an extended and in depth practical write up, in a sense. You should consider how realistically you will be able to do something related to oncology in this sense. It's likely you would have to do something in some related aspect of cell and/or molecular biology which you have the facilities to undertake some experimental work in your school for, and then relate this to oncology in some way in the broader EE itself.
diancie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I remember being a Year 1 student in your place, I thought about Biology EE ideas which were way out of scale (studies with dogs, human body etc.) You have to remember that this is a student paper, and as the above poster said oncology could be a complicated subject to dive into. After trying to look into many ideas, I ended up writing an EE which involved an experiment on how certain medicines affect E.Coli. Ended up with a B.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (508)
26.46%
The paper was reasonable (833)
43.39%
Not feeling great about that exam (376)
19.58%
It was TERRIBLE (203)
10.57%

Watched Threads