Report Thread starter 1 year ago
will insurer notify police about speeding when they cancel insurance
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quick answer, no.

They will not, the only time they will liaise with the police is if the police ask your insurers of some details in case of a crime.
summerdale17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
my young work colleague has had notice of cancellation by smart wheels effective tomorrow. can he cancel today himself as still within 14 days cooling off period to avoid having cancelled insurance history
-Eirlys-
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should check your insurance policy regarding your black box. If I speed, nothing bad happens to me, I just get a reduced score. The more points I get, the higher the percentage of my discount at renewal, sometimes up to 30% off. However, other insurers will contact you and threaten cancelling your insurance if you continue to speed. They don't contact the police.
(Original post by summerdale17)
will insurer notify police about speeding when they cancel insurance
summerdale17
Rep:
?
my 17 yearold young colleague at work only had licence and insurance less than 2 weeks, has been given notice of cancellation by smart wheels effective tomorrow midnight. he still in cooling off period, could he cancel himself today and avoid having this on his record? He knows he has been so naive and stupid

(Original post by xDron3)
Quick answer, no.

They will not, the only time they will liaise with the police is if the police ask your insurers of some details in case of a crime.
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
You should check your insurance policy regarding your black box. If I speed, nothing bad happens to me, I just get a reduced score. The more points I get, the higher the percentage of my discount at renewal, sometimes up to 30% off. However, other insurers will contact you and threaten cancelling your insurance if you continue to speed. They don't contact the police.
summerdale17
Rep:
?
the cancellation will be for an excessive speed event which he knows he did wrong

my 17 yearold young colleague at work only had licence and insurance less than 2 weeks, has been given notice of cancellation by smart wheels effective tomorrow midnight. he still in cooling off period, could he cancel himself today and avoid having this on his record? He knows he has been so naive and stupid
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He could try to cancel it himself, but not sure if that would work. Having a cancellation on your record ain't good, but it's possible to get insurance from other low profile insurers.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why is he not on here asking for himself, why should it be your job to do his dirty work?
summerdale17
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Why is he not on here asking for himself, why should it be your job to do his dirty work?
because he in bed after shift work
summerdale17
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
also he is distraught by it all and knows its his own fault, good job some people have empathy
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also he is distraught by it all and knows its his own fault, good job some people have empathy
Cry me a river. You don't take out telematics insurance and speed - it's simple. What sort of idiot does that? It's like seeing a speed camera and accelerating!

Why should we have any sympathy or empathy towards someone driving a 2 ton machine with the power to kill who can't figure out how to stick within the speed limits when they're being watched 24/7???

Yes, he can ring up and cancel it now - it's a loophole I very much despise, but it's there for the foreseeable.
summerdale17
Rep:
?
I agree on all points, hes a bloody fool but I am trying to help him, yes I agree how many times we hear this, you are right but I need to help for reasons I cannot explain here
(Original post by IWMTom)
Cry me a river. You don't take out telematics insurance and speed - it's simple. What sort of idiot does that? It's like seeing a speed camera and accelerating!

Why should we have any sympathy or empathy towards someone driving a 2 ton machine with the power to kill who can't figure out how to stick within the speed limits when they're being watched 24/7???

Yes, he can ring up and cancel it now - it's a loophole I very much despise, but it's there for the foreseeable.
summerdale17
Rep:
?
thanks for your comments. if he is out of his 14 days cooling off period, could he still ring and cancel it before the insurers cancellation comes into effect?

summerdale17
Rep:
?
It turns out the lad cancelled the insurance himself already, but his insurer say he has to yes to "have you ever had insurance cancelled" but if he cancelled it, then surely the answer is technically no?
thanks for your comments. if he is out of his 14 days cooling off period, could he still ring and cancel it before the insurers cancellation comes into effect?
summerdale17
Rep:
?
My work colleague cancelled his insurance himself once his insurer said they would cancel on a specific date. I spoke with them and they confirmed he did cancel himself, that they did not cancel even though they intended to.
i ASKED HOW should he answer the question on new insurer quotes of Have you ever had insurance cancelled and they said he should answer yes. I said but he cancelled you didnt and she said as an insurer I can only advise that he answers yes. I again questioned this and she again said " I can only state as an insurer, he should answer yes........but reading between the lines and knowing the calls were recorded I think she was confirming he did not need to answer the question with a yes........does anybody know the right thing to do???
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes.

It turns out the lad cancelled the insurance himself already, but his insurer say he has to yes to "have you ever had insurance cancelled" but if he cancelled it, then surely the answer is technically no?
It's always been a grey area.. he should ask his new insurer as to whether there is anything showing on his record at the various shared databases.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My work colleague cancelled his insurance himself once his insurer said they would cancel on a specific date. I spoke with them and they confirmed he did cancel himself, that they did not cancel even though they intended to.
i ASKED HOW should he answer the question on new insurer quotes of Have you ever had insurance cancelled and they said he should answer yes. I said but he cancelled you didnt and she said as an insurer I can only advise that he answers yes. I again questioned this and she again said " I can only state as an insurer, he should answer yes........but reading between the lines and knowing the calls were recorded I think she was confirming he did not need to answer the question with a yes........does anybody know the right thing to do???
Please don't create new threads for the same issue. Threads merged.
Last edited by IWMTom; 1 year ago
summerdale17
Rep:
?
thankyou for that. what database would the shared info be on........as the black box data is only shared with police upon request, not other insurers and if he cancelled what else is there to share? Can he get access to any shared data on him? prior to re-insuring. Thankyou IWMTom, you have been helpful especially since the subject is distasteful to you
Yes.

It's always been a grey area.. he should ask his new insurer as to whether there is anything showing on his record at the various shared databases.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thankyou for that. what database would the shared info be on........as the black box data is only shared with police upon request, not other insurers and if he cancelled what else is there to share? Can he get access to any shared data on him? prior to re-insuring. Thankyou IWMTom, you have been helpful especially since the subject is distasteful to you
I believe cancellations are logged in the Claims and Underwriting Exchange (CUE) database.

I could be wrong, so contact the new insurer and ask whether they could check for you before taking out a policy - if it's not on the database, the answer to the question regarding previous cancellations is no.
summerdale17
Rep:
?
how long would you suggest he waits to allow update info to filter through.....I would have thought 28 days but perhaps I am wrong?
I believe cancellations are logged in the Claims and Underwriting Exchange (CUE) database.

I could be wrong, so contact the new insurer and ask whether they could check for you before taking out a policy - if it's not on the database, the answer to the question regarding previous cancellations is no.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.28%
I'm not sure (8)
2.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.22%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.33%
I'm not a current university student (137)
45.51%

Watched Threads