Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Birmingham or Lancaster for Computer Science
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So UoB says at https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...urseDetailsTab

"During this course you’ll learn about all kinds of computational systems; their theory[Maths], design[Maths], development[Maths] and application[Maths]. This includes programming languages[Maths], software engineering[Maths], artificial intelligence[Maths], operating systems[Maths], databases[Maths], nature-inspired computation[Maths], concurrent computing[Maths], robotics[Maths] and the theory of computation[Maths]. But it goes wider than this and you’ll also explore concepts from fields as diverse as maths[Maths], engineering[a bit of Maths], linguistics and psychology." (I added the Maths emphasis)

I didn't bother looking at the Lancaster page, and unless you prefer the very nice and rather wetter Lancaster Campus, then your choice is Brum. (nice Baltis, canals and Warwickshire cycling at the weekend)
Krood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
So UoB says at https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...urseDetailsTab

"During this course you’ll learn about all kinds of computational systems; their theory[Maths], design[Maths], development[Maths] and application[Maths]. This includes programming languages[Maths], software engineering[Maths], artificial intelligence[Maths], operating systems[Maths], databases[Maths], nature-inspired computation[Maths], concurrent computing[Maths], robotics[Maths] and the theory of computation[Maths]. But it goes wider than this and you’ll also explore concepts from fields as diverse as maths[Maths], engineering[a bit of Maths], linguistics and psychology." (I added the Maths emphasis)

I didn't bother looking at the Lancaster page, and unless you prefer the very nice and rather wetter Lancaster Campus, then your choice is Brum. (nice Baltis, canals and Warwickshire cycling at the weekend)
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but just trying to be clear on what you are saying...
You seem to be saying that there is a huge emphasis on maths at Brum, that other uni's don't have? And this is a sign of a great course?
Could you elaborate a bit? For me personally, heavy maths is the least compelling aspect to CS courses, though I know it is important.

(Or if there's someone else that understands this comment please chip in)
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ok, as an old thread it does need explaining.

comp Sci is almost theoretical computing, hence why I went overboard with maths <b html.
Quite a few students simply like coding on today’s computers, using “yesterday’s” languages
So comp Sci isn’t for everyone

I thing any uni will teach CS at more or less the same level, if they are approved by ncsc , check the very long lists
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (20)
22.47%
No (69)
77.53%

Watched Threads