The Student Room Group

how do you get into university when your disabled?

so I'm a type 1 diabetic with moderate to severe chronic fatigue syndrome and social anxiety and I go into school about 3 hours a week currently. but I'm getting better and whilst I'm not going to come out of sixth form with 3 complete A-levels, I hopefully will be able to make up the ucas points- and crucially I'm smart, and am very good at self teaching but universities don't listen to any of that. since I will be a whole lot better when I apply for university has anyone been in a similar situation and could offer any type of advice, literally open to anything at this point. thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
so I'm a type 1 diabetic with moderate to severe chronic fatigue syndrome and social anxiety and I go into school about 3 hours a week currently. but I'm getting better and whilst I'm not going to come out of sixth form with 3 complete A-levels, I hopefully will be able to make up the ucas points- and crucially I'm smart, and am very good at self teaching but universities don't listen to any of that. since I will be a whole lot better when I apply for university has anyone been in a similar situation and could offer any type of advice, literally open to anything at this point. thanks.

you should definitely look into disabled students allowance for support at university and perhaps going part time or going through distance learning could be a good option for you.
University is a meritocracy - if you get the grades and the points then you will be considered. It depends what you want to study, how competitive it is and what other things are required. From what you've said something like medicine would be unrealistic, but some of the humanities may only have a few hours of contact time per week. I think you may need to face up taking a gap year or two until you are ready for uni.
Have you considered the Open University? 😊
Original post by Anonymous

Quick Reply

Latest