The Student Room Group

Veterinary Nursing Student Help

Hey,

I’m currently an offer holder at a university for a veterinary nursing course at Nottingham Trent University. I was wondering if any students who take veterinary nursing or are going to take this course could help me with regards on how to prepare before I start.

For example :
-Is there any textbooks I should get before hand that would help me?
-What footwear do you recommend, I was told sturdy boots but a bit unsure as to what kind?
-Any other information you could spare that would help me would be brilliant!

Thank you all in advance! Xx
Hiya sorry if this is a bit late!

The BSAVA Textbook of veterinary nursing 5th edition (a really big pink book) is amazing it has absolutely everything in! Always a 1st stop for research/beginning of any subject.

For footwear I'm guessing you mean for placement- closed shoes that are black are good. Waterproof and comfortable are a must because there are days you'll be on your feet for the entire shift. You will get them wet and have lovely body fluids on your feet so waterproof keeps it out of the shoe 😁 you're recommended to get a new pair of shoes for each practice that you work in to prevent disease spread so dont break the bank with them but dont go too cheap either (you get 2 placements in year 1)

I'm not at nottingham trent but my friend is currently a 1st year svn there (I'm at rvc). Start looking around for a placement early as practices get full when your entire cohort is looking. If you wanted to do pre reading over the summer, A&P is a good place to start as it's all covered in the 1st year. Its intense stuff to learn but an amazing course and working on placement is incredible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending