Bad teacher for Classical Civilisation

Watch
Y983
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Apparently the Classics teachers at the new Sixth Form that I'll be going to won't be very good and the grades aren't the best (only 2 people got As and the year before that only 1)
I'm wondering if I'll be able to depend on myself to mainly self study the course or if it's too heavy or intricate since I really want to take it as an A Level. I got an 8 in English Lit and 9 in History in Mocks but I know that A Levels are an entirely different ball game so I'm worried self study won't be enough especially since the unis I like want A*AA or AAA at least and Classics will probably be the subject I'll need to get A* in. Is Classical Civilisation too hard to partially self study with a bad teacher?
Last edited by Y983; 2 years ago
BasmahA
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - it really depends on what topics you will be doing and what the exam is like etc. I didn't do classics at GCSE but I am doing it as one of my A Level choices (along with History and English Lit and the exams start in less than a month - eek!). At first I felt this really put me behind the rest of my set who had done classics at GCSE, but I feel as with any other subject, if you put enough effort in you will be able to achieve the grades you need.
doodles365
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi , currently doing AH and in the exact same situation and struggling! , The teacher I had who was great left end of yr 12 and honestly the way things are being done this yr is so bad! I'm not gonna rant about it here but if you're in that situation you really need to think carefully about taking the subject , it's the most content heavy of all my subjects (history, AH and sociology) and it is difficult , particularly as there isn't many past papers , revision guides or online resources as its a very niche subject and believe me , your teachers are some of your main resources in being able to understand things as nothing comes in a simplified version, if you get what I mean. You want to go into that A-level confident you've been taught well as working with ancient sources is the bane of my life atm. That being said if you know you'll work hard and aren't afraid of it being difficult then go for it and if you love the subject don't let it put you off. there is however other routes if you don't feel confident the teaching will be good at A-level though , a history A level would still set you up nicely if you want to do a class civ or AH degree.
feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it some more :-)
Y983
Rep:
?
Thank you! They announced that there's going to be taster lessons of Classical Civilisation after GCSEs so I'm hoping to get a feel for the course and the teachers there (hopefully it might not be the teachers who are the problem and if I really enjoy the course I'll probably find it easier to put more work into it?) If I don't like it I'll probably go for maths or history like you suggested. Thanks again xx
(Original post by doodles365)
hi , currently doing AH and in the exact same situation and struggling! , The teacher I had who was great left end of yr 12 and honestly the way things are being done this yr is so bad! I'm not gonna rant about it here but if you're in that situation you really need to think carefully about taking the subject , it's the most content heavy of all my subjects (history, AH and sociology) and it is difficult , particularly as there isn't many past papers , revision guides or online resources as its a very niche subject and believe me , your teachers are some of your main resources in being able to understand things as nothing comes in a simplified version, if you get what I mean. You want to go into that A-level confident you've been taught well as working with ancient sources is the bane of my life atm. That being said if you know you'll work hard and aren't afraid of it being difficult then go for it and if you love the subject don't let it put you off. there is however other routes if you don't feel confident the teaching will be good at A-level though , a history A level would still set you up nicely if you want to do a class civ or AH degree.
feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it some more :-)
Y983
Rep:
?
The topics the school has chosen look quite interesting so hopefully it'll be easier to put extra work into. Thank you and good luck for your exams xx
(Original post by BasmahA)
Hi - it really depends on what topics you will be doing and what the exam is like etc. I didn't do classics at GCSE but I am doing it as one of my A Level choices (along with History and English Lit and the exams start in less than a month - eek!). At first I felt this really put me behind the rest of my set who had done classics at GCSE, but I feel as with any other subject, if you put enough effort in you will be able to achieve the grades you need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads