The Student Room Group

what happens if you fail first year for BTEC LEVEL 3?

i do btec business level 3 and my teachers are always saying to the whole class you will not go onto second year if you bring work past deadlines and if you get bad results on the final exams in the summer.

so my question is can the college not allow you to go onto second year if you get only pass on your coursework but you didnt get any distinctions or merits.
Yes, they can stop you from doing Year 2 if your performance is not good enough in Year 1.

Original post by Garry9028
i do btec business level 3 and my teachers are always saying to the whole class you will not go onto second year if you bring work past deadlines and if you get bad results on the final exams in the summer.

so my question is can the college not allow you to go onto second year if you get only pass on your coursework but you didnt get any distinctions or merits.
Original post by bamtutor
Yes, they can stop you from doing Year 2 if your performance is not good enough in Year 1.

You have any reference for that? I am not sure they can if you havent failed anything?
My reference is 15 years as a Business teacher and tutor in FE and 6th form colleges. If you haven't proved yourself as a good student, your attendance is bad, you have missed deadlines or are 'just passing' then they can refuse to let you continue (or they will encourage you to try another subject)...
Original post by 999tigger
You have any reference for that? I am not sure they can if you havent failed anything?
My reference is 15 years as a Business teacher and tutor in FE and 6th form colleges. If you haven't proved yourself as a good student, your attendance is bad, you have missed deadlines or are 'just passing' then they can refuse to let you continue (or they will encourage you to try another subject)...

I meant an actual reference from someone like Pearson in relation to preventing a student who passes all modules from completing or the DoE? Whats the legal authority to do so?
Just asking, because they used to do this with A levels and it is now illegal. I am wondering if it isnt also illegal to do so for someone on BTEC?

I dont think the encouraging you to do something else, because that involves choice.
I think attendance is more grounds for a disciplinary in breaking school rules in general.
There is no Pearson reference, because Pearson don't actually tell colleges what to do or how to run courses. They just ensure that the BTECS are being taught and assessed correctly. Individual college Principals can do what they like to an extent. No college HAS to offer you a place (in fact some are very strict on who they take) and if you do have a place but are under performing (as the OP stated that they were) then they don't need to let you continue (as failures affect their statistics and raise the prospect of Ofsted visits). If you are predicted a Distinction on a BTEC (based on your GCSE average score) and you only get a Merit or a Pass, this seriously affects their value added score, which is another Ofsted concern.

I meant an actual reference from someone like Pearson in relation to preventing a student who passes all modules from completing or the DoE? Whats the legal authority to do so?
Just asking, because they used to do this with A levels and it is now illegal. I am wondering if it isnt also illegal to do so for someone on BTEC?

I dont think the encouraging you to do something else, because that involves choice.
I think attendance is more grounds for a disciplinary in breaking school rules in general.
There is no Pearson reference, because Pearson don't actually tell colleges what to do or how to run courses. They just ensure that the BTECS are being taught and assessed correctly. Individual college Principals can do what they like to an extent. No college HAS to offer you a place (in fact some are very strict on who they take) and if you do have a place but are under performing (as the OP stated that they were) then they don't need to let you continue (as failures affect their statistics and raise the prospect of Ofsted visits). If you are predicted a Distinction on a BTEC (based on your GCSE average score) and you only get a Merit or a Pass, this seriously affects their value added score, which is another Ofsted concern.

Nobody mentioned about colleges having to be offered a place.
The question asked was

can the college not allow you to go onto second year if you get only pass on your coursework but you didnt get any distinctions or merits.

It used to be past practice that some schools jettisoned their poorer performing pupils at the AS stage. It is now illegal to do so. Under the same principles I suspect the same would be applied to a BTEC student. Do you have any experience or reference for this?
This is slightly different for BTECs. As As levels were the first year of a two year course, schools who jettisoned learners were in fact told to change their practices. However, a BTEC course allows you to gain a complete Level 3 qualification after only one year and then progress to the higher level qualification in the second year. Some learners choose not to go on and are happy with a one year, say Certificate, Sub Dip or Diploma. Equally centres can refuse to allow you to continue as you will still have 'achieved a full Level 3 after one year' and as such they are doing nothing illegal at this stage.
As I said earlier, you will not find anything in writing reference this, it is up to individual centres and this is what the OPs college were saying which is why they asked and why I gave the answer.

Nobody mentioned about colleges having to be offered a place.
The question asked was

can the college not allow you to go onto second year if you get only pass on your coursework but you didnt get any distinctions or merits.

It used to be past practice that some schools jettisoned their poorer performing pupils at the AS stage. It is now illegal to do so. Under the same principles I suspect the same would be applied to a BTEC student. Do you have any experience or reference for this?
This is slightly different for BTECs. As As levels were the first year of a two year course, schools who jettisoned learners were in fact told to change their practices. However, a BTEC course allows you to gain a complete Level 3 qualification after only one year and then progress to the higher level qualification in the second year. Some learners choose not to go on and are happy with a one year, say Certificate, Sub Dip or Diploma. Equally centres can refuse to allow you to continue as you will still have 'achieved a full Level 3 after one year' and as such they are doing nothing illegal at this stage.
As I said earlier, you will not find anything in writing reference this, it is up to individual centres and this is what the OPs college were saying which is why they asked and why I gave the answer.

Still not convinced it would be legal, but not sure if guidance has been issued by the DOE.
As far as A levels were concerned schools were told the practice of jettisoning poorer performing students was illegal. For BTEC if I started on an extended diploma, didnt perform well, but still passed, then am not convinced it would be legal for a college to prevent you from proceeding.

All this stuff about learners choosing etc, is fine but a side issue and not relevant to a school removing you from a course you were passing. Anyway thanks for the answer.
Still not convinced it would be legal, but not sure if guidance has been issued by the DOE.
As far as A levels were concerned schools were told the practice of jettisoning poorer performing students was illegal. For BTEC if I started on an extended diploma, didnt perform well, but still passed, then am not convinced it would be legal for a college to prevent you from proceeding.

All this stuff about learners choosing etc, is fine but a side issue and not relevant to a school removing you from a course you were passing. Anyway thanks for the answer.

My college told me at the start of the year they are letting people continue onto 2nd year with just passes, whereas previous years you had to achieve MP (or now M) to continue onto 2nd year.
Original post by btecman123
My college told me at the start of the year they are letting people continue onto 2nd year with just passes, whereas previous years you had to achieve MP (or now M) to continue onto 2nd year.

There used to be a practice in schools that they would drop poor performing students at the end of year 12, even if they wanted to continue. That went to the courts and it was ruled illegal.
the DoE issued guidance warning schools not to do it any more. They can ofc offer other courses. Maybe your college has taken the DoE advice? I was asking about whether the ruling applies to not just schools but fe colleges.

For this thread I was wondering whether it applied to BTEC. I cant see why not, but i would have to review the DoE advice again. Maybe it hasnt been tested.

ps In the case of me being on PP at ned of 12 then I would probably drop it and try something else if my needed grade was going to be very hard to obtain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending