The Student Room Group

AS Biology

Is the cell cycle independent of mitosis? my textbook says cells that can't divide continuously have cell division cycles?
If I remember correctly mitosis is part of the cell cycle.
It is a part of the cell cycle, after interphase, mitosis is basically the whole PMAT process
P: Prophase
M: Metaphase
A: Anaphase
T: Telophase

Attachment not found
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Laseeboka
It is a part of the cell cycle, after interphase, mitosis is basically the whole PMAT process
P: Prophase
M: Metaphase
A: Anaphase
T: Telophase

Attachment not found

thank you, would you happen to know what the s and gap phases are?
In G1: the size of the cell is increasing because its organelles are being replicated and so are the components of the cytoplasm.

In the S phase: the DNA is being replicated, so the chromosomes are splitting into two sister chromatids .

In the G2: Protein synthesis is taking place at this point and the centriole are replicated. The cell is also making a bunch of protein that would be needed during the mitosis phase;
for example the spindle fibres.

I’m not sure if I’ve answered you question properly but that is as much as I know.
Reply 5
Original post by Laseeboka
In G1: the size of the cell is increasing because its organelles are being replicated and so are the components of the cytoplasm.

In the S phase: the DNA is being replicated, so the chromosomes are splitting into two sister chromatids .

In the G2: Protein synthesis is taking place at this point and the centriole are replicated. The cell is also making a bunch of protein that would be needed during the mitosis phase;
for example the spindle fibres.

I’m not sure if I’ve answered you question properly but that is as much as I know.

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest