I can’t stand sixth form.

Watch
gracieforder
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Since joining sixth form in September last year I haven’t felt like I fit in, I’ve made friends but since then 4 of them have already left. I currently feel really alone and no one is approachable as I’ve tried many a time to make friends in group work but when I ask if I can work with them they flat out say no. The teachers never seem to respond to any of me emails apart from the odd one. Also I really don’t like biology it was legit the worse choice on my behalf but when asking I found out I cannot swap it or drop it therefore I’m stuck doing a subject I can’t stand in a class full of people getting As and at the moment no matter how hard I revise I get Us and Es across the board. I suffer from Chronic Fatigue and it’s an effort to get myself up in the morning and stay at sixth form the full hours but I try to, now I have lost all enthusiasm to even attend as know one makes me feel wanted or valued as a student therefore I feel like there is no point me even showing up. Someone give me an idea of what I could do now or if there is anyway it could get better please.
serpent666
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Perhaps it would be a good idea to talk to your parents about how you’re feeling and then go to head of sixth form to have a chat? There’s always other options. Maybe you could try making friends outside of sixth form, like at a club or doing somehing your interested in.
kawaii sashimi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!
I know how you feel about a lot of the things you've mentioned and hope to give you some reassurance or idea of what to do about it.

first of all, it's good that you're acknowledging your worries and feelings about sixth form. it's the first step. when I started last year, a few friends left part way through as well, and I know that it makes you feel alone. For me (I'm in year 13 now) it got better, because sixth form and a-levels keep you busy and one or two good friends are enough. As long as you're sure that you can share your worries with them, have a laugh from time to time and relate on sixth form and a-levels and that they're in it for the long haul with you, it should be fine. I'm sorry to hear that the people in your classes are so immature, and that it makes groupwork more daunting and a bit of a chore. The best way to get around this is to try and talk to your classmates more outside of those classes or even before class ask your teacher privately to assign your groups from time to time and say that it would help you and the class work better - I think they'd be willing to help. so then you get to work with different types of people too. Trying to make friends in groupwork alone just isn't going to happen. People may not seem approachable to you but you won't know if they're holding the same reservations as you are until you talk to them more.

As for the teachers not responding to emails, that's a universal thing. it's pretty much the same at my sixth form too, but in the long-run, it hasn't affected my work or relationship with them at all. you kind of have to chase them up or tell them beforehand to check their emails or that you sent them one. I feel like they'd take a look if you remind them, especially as they have a lot to do.

the thing i'm most worried about for you is that you don't like biology. It's difficult to do well in a subject you don't enjoy. But at the same time I know I was really daunted by and hated biology at the start of last year but then I realised between year 12 and year 13, there are different modules that I find enjoyable or interesting and end up doing well in. the same could happen for you too, except you wont know until it happens. I went from not liking it to choosing it for uni lol :'), so it really depends on you. I can relate with the Es and Us vs the A grade students in the class thing too. you will get better at any of your subjects over time and you have to focus on revising a little bit of biology every night to get the grades up. Don't worry about keeping pace with you classmates too much. it might help you academically and socially if you ask the a grade students for help from time to time too. if they're snobby, take it in your stride and stick to concentrating on what you're doing. I can help you with revision tips for bio, because I was in your position too and it does get better. however it relies on your effort.

It's a bit late to swap or drop it, so the suggestions i'd make are the following:
- ask your school if you could self study another a-level and drop out of biology and have them enter you in for the exams (bit risky)
-think about what you want to do in the future, if its science or healthcare related, don't drop it.
-consider applying for apprenticeships, there may e some that start around this time of year
- as it's almost the end of year 12 for you, maybe ask your current school if you could drop out now and start again from September as a year 12 again or try it for a different school. if you do go for this, maybe move schools or try a college? you'll have a fresh start and new opportunities to make friends too. A friend of mine was in a similar situation to you and did this and is happier now in year 12 starting fresh with a different set of subjects than she was when she first started with us.

I need to ask though, do you enjoy your other two a-levels? if it's just biology, then maybe stick with it and put more hours in with different forms of revision to get better. Raise these concerns with your bio teacher or sixth form leader. They can give you some guidance too. also if you like the other two, then it will help you feel better about having the one that you dont enjoy.

Spend your free periods doing most of the work so that when you get home you can relax a bit more. it could help with fatigue? or ask if because of your condition if you can leave earlier when you dont have lessons, but it may take some negotiating. You are wanted and valued even though people may bot explicitly show it. everyone there is a teen who may be experiencing loads of different battles and emotions and i'm certain there are others who feel like you do too, yet ,it's worth noting that it does get better if you make it get better and change your attitude to things as well. The whole point of you showing up is to get an education, leave and make something of yourself that will make you content with your life. It's not worth waiting for people to see you in a certain way or act towards you in a certain way either. Having that one person you feel happy with is enough. it might e tough in class not having them there, but then you have those times in between that can make it feel better.

Final thing is, consider getting a tutor for things you struggle with or use youtube, practice papers and classmates too. getting your grades up by revising over the summer helps too, especially for fixing up grades for your ucas predictions.

I didn't want to come off as being scary or telling you off or anything or making you worry more. I really hope things look up for you, and eventually everything does get better. Think about also, whether this same situation could have happened if you went somewhere else in the first place and did different subjects. it still could, but it's you who can change outcomes of things. Good luck and feel free to ask anything else! i'll do my best to reply!
gracieforder
Rep:
?
I was considering applying to do a whole different course elsewhere focusing on one specific area and now I look back I honestly I wish I had done that. I don’t need biology I just enjoyed it during secondary, I think I ended up taking it as at my school I came from I didn’t have any careers advice or help when it came to choosing my options so I just went with what I thought I’d like. I’ve spoken to my head of year, tutor and biology teacher about my grades and my teacher just told me he thinks it’s clear I’m not trying when in reality I’m going over my notes regularly and revising before exams. I honestly feel like I’m fighting a losing battle. Thank you for taking time out of your evening to reply.

(Original post by kawaii sashimi)
Hey!
I know how you feel about a lot of the things you've mentioned and hope to give you some reassurance or idea of what to do about it.

first of all, it's good that you're acknowledging your worries and feelings about sixth form. it's the first step. when I started last year, a few friends left part way through as well, and I know that it makes you feel alone. For me (I'm in year 13 now) it got better, because sixth form and a-levels keep you busy and one or two good friends are enough. As long as you're sure that you can share your worries with them, have a laugh from time to time and relate on sixth form and a-levels and that they're in it for the long haul with you, it should be fine. I'm sorry to hear that the people in your classes are so immature, and that it makes groupwork more daunting and a bit of a chore. The best way to get around this is to try and talk to your classmates more outside of those classes or even before class ask your teacher privately to assign your groups from time to time and say that it would help you and the class work better - I think they'd be willing to help. so then you get to work with different types of people too. Trying to make friends in groupwork alone just isn't going to happen. People may not seem approachable to you but you won't know if they're holding the same reservations as you are until you talk to them more.

As for the teachers not responding to emails, that's a universal thing. it's pretty much the same at my sixth form too, but in the long-run, it hasn't affected my work or relationship with them at all. you kind of have to chase them up or tell them beforehand to check their emails or that you sent them one. I feel like they'd take a look if you remind them, especially as they have a lot to do.

the thing i'm most worried about for you is that you don't like biology. It's difficult to do well in a subject you don't enjoy. But at the same time I know I was really daunted by and hated biology at the start of last year but then I realised between year 12 and year 13, there are different modules that I find enjoyable or interesting and end up doing well in. the same could happen for you too, except you wont know until it happens. I went from not liking it to choosing it for uni lol :'), so it really depends on you. I can relate with the Es and Us vs the A grade students in the class thing too. you will get better at any of your subjects over time and you have to focus on revising a little bit of biology every night to get the grades up. Don't worry about keeping pace with you classmates too much. it might help you academically and socially if you ask the a grade students for help from time to time too. if they're snobby, take it in your stride and stick to concentrating on what you're doing. I can help you with revision tips for bio, because I was in your position too and it does get better. however it relies on your effort.

It's a bit late to swap or drop it, so the suggestions i'd make are the following:
- ask your school if you could self study another a-level and drop out of biology and have them enter you in for the exams (bit risky)
-think about what you want to do in the future, if its science or healthcare related, don't drop it.
-consider applying for apprenticeships, there may e some that start around this time of year
- as it's almost the end of year 12 for you, maybe ask your current school if you could drop out now and start again from September as a year 12 again or try it for a different school. if you do go for this, maybe move schools or try a college? you'll have a fresh start and new opportunities to make friends too. A friend of mine was in a similar situation to you and did this and is happier now in year 12 starting fresh with a different set of subjects than she was when she first started with us.

I need to ask though, do you enjoy your other two a-levels? if it's just biology, then maybe stick with it and put more hours in with different forms of revision to get better. Raise these concerns with your bio teacher or sixth form leader. They can give you some guidance too. also if you like the other two, then it will help you feel better about having the one that you dont enjoy.

Spend your free periods doing most of the work so that when you get home you can relax a bit more. it could help with fatigue? or ask if because of your condition if you can leave earlier when you dont have lessons, but it may take some negotiating. You are wanted and valued even though people may bot explicitly show it. everyone there is a teen who may be experiencing loads of different battles and emotions and i'm certain there are others who feel like you do too, yet ,it's worth noting that it does get better if you make it get better and change your attitude to things as well. The whole point of you showing up is to get an education, leave and make something of yourself that will make you content with your life. It's not worth waiting for people to see you in a certain way or act towards you in a certain way either. Having that one person you feel happy with is enough. it might e tough in class not having them there, but then you have those times in between that can make it feel better.

Final thing is, consider getting a tutor for things you struggle with or use youtube, practice papers and classmates too. getting your grades up by revising over the summer helps too, especially for fixing up grades for your ucas predictions.

I didn't want to come off as being scary or telling you off or anything or making you worry more. I really hope things look up for you, and eventually everything does get better. Think about also, whether this same situation could have happened if you went somewhere else in the first place and did different subjects. it still could, but it's you who can change outcomes of things. Good luck and feel free to ask anything else! i'll do my best to reply!
gracieforder
Rep:
?
My mum and I have had a meeting with my head of year back in October and have spoken to the headteacher this week and he said there is no option at the sixth form I’m currently at to do anything different to what I’m doing now. Thank you for the suggestions.
Last edited by gracieforder; 1 year ago
kawaii sashimi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think if you feel like you regret not doing something, then it might just be worth doing what you were going to originally do starting in September of this year? it won't make much of a difference in terms of time that it takes to get qualifications either. Your teacher's not being helpful at all, I can see how it would affect you in a negative way. It might be more that you need to focus instead on exam technique - biology is ridiculously content heavy and then they throw weird application questions at you. when you revise for it at home, try doing module specific practice papers from physics and maths tutor.com with the textbook open. it'll help ! anyways, keep your head up with biology if you feel like you cant take any other options! And, don't worry about it, I don't mind trying to give some reassurance or help, I was in a position similar to yours and ik I would've appreciated help and different perspectives too. :five: as cheesy as I sound, awful times do feel like they last forever but they don't
(Original post by gracieforder)
I was considering applying to do a whole different course elsewhere focusing on one specific area and now I look back I honestly I wish I had done that. I don’t need biology I just enjoyed it during secondary, I think I ended up taking it as at my school I came from I didn’t have any careers advice or help when it came to choosing my options so I just went with what I thought I’d like. I’ve spoken to my head of year, tutor and biology teacher about my grades and my teacher just told me he thinks it’s clear I’m not trying when in reality I’m going over my notes regularly and revising before exams. I honestly feel like I’m fighting a losing battle. Thank you for taking time out of your evening to reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (654)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (824)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (380)
19.54%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.47%

Watched Threads