emilyhaworthx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m stuck between choosing Edinburgh or Lancaster university for this year? At Edinburgh I’d be studying the English language and literature MA , and at Lancaster I’d be studying the English Language and Linguistics BA. I need some advice really and want to hear other people’s opinions as I really don’t know which one to choose.
My predicted grades are A*AB, and I’ve been offered conditional offers of A*AB from Edinburgh and AAB / ABB with an A in my EPQ from Lancaster. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get that A*AB because I missed a few months of sixth form due to illness, but I’m determined to do the best I can.
At first I applied for the English language and literature course at Lancaster as well, but emailed and decided to change because I didn’t enjoy the lit side on my offer holder day. I can’t attend any offer holder days at Edinburgh so my decision would have to be based on their open day last summer (which I loved).
My insurance choice will be Liverpool.
Any advice or experience at these universities?
TIA x
jtkai
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there any particular reason you’re going with Liverpool for your insurance instead of the one out of Edinburgh and Lancaster that you don’t firm?
emilyhaworthx
Rep:
?
(Original post by jtkai)
Is there any particular reason you’re going with Liverpool for your insurance instead of the one out of Edinburgh and Lancaster that you don’t firm?
Basically because of the security of the lower grade boundaries. The offer there is ABB / ABC with an A in my EPQ which I know I should comfortably be able to get, and I love Liverpool as both a city and a uni.
Last edited by emilyhaworthx; 1 year ago
axolotlaristotle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you thought about switching to the ‘Linguistics and English Language’ course at Edinburgh (https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...amme&code=QQ31).

That way you could do a course you’re more interested in, and the grades are ABB. If you preferred Edinburgh as a uni this would be a definite shout! I don’t know what the procedure surrounding switching course is, but MAYBE it’ll be similar to Lancaster’s which you seem to have quite successfully navigated!!
emilyhaworthx
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=axolotlaristotle;82497872]Have you thought about switching to the ‘Linguistics and English Language’ course at Edinburgh ([url]https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=programme
Last edited by emilyhaworthx; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (635)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.33%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads