Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Here's a link to the question Q4
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com...%20A-level.pdf

Here's a link to the mark scheme:
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com...%20A-level.pdf

What do they mean calibrate volume and time? How ?
Last edited by Leah.J; 2 years ago
Old_Microbials
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
The spirometer can be calibrated for volume by syringing a known volume through it.

As the diagram shows a kymograph being used to record the trace, time calibration depends on its rotation speed.
Leah.J
Rep:
(Original post by Old_Microbials)
The spirometer can be calibrated for volume by syringing a known volume through it.

As the diagram shows a kymograph being used to record the trace, time calibration depends on its rotation speed.
Right.. um, so what should I say for the time calibration point ? Calibrate the time by setting a specific rotation speed ?
I'm sorry I self study bio and I'm a bit confused about this
Old_Microbials
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Well, if you want to know the breaths per second for example, you need to be able to ascertain what a second looks like on the graph.
If the rate of rotation was 1 mm per second, then each mm of trace would represent 1 second.
So breaths per minute would be the number of breaths over a 60mm trace.

(Original post by Leah.J)
Right.. um, so what should I say for the time calibration point ? Calibrate the time by setting a specific rotation speed ?
I'm sorry I self study bio and I'm a bit confused about this
Leah.J
Rep:
(Original post by Old_Microbials)
Well, if you want to know the breaths per second for example, you need to be able to ascertain what a second looks like on the graph.
If the rate of rotation was 1 mm per second, then each mm of trace would represent 1 second.
So breaths per minute would be the number of breaths over a 60mm trace.
Ohhhh, I got it, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed