Help, my mum has high blood pressure and doesn't seem to care, is she at high risk?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My mum is 64 years old and has just found out (through measuring her blood pressure when she was at my aunts house) that she has hypertension - she has had several readings one 162/70 and another 157/72. She had a reading of 126/70 when lying down but BP drops in lying position anyway doesn't it.

She won't go to the doctors as she says that she is not 'obsessive' over her health. She thinks that I am obsessive as I keep fit etc and she ignores any suggestions I give her - such as lifestyle changes. She used to be a nurse and she tells me that its the diastolic reading that is important not the systolic - Im fairly sure its the systolic that that medics look at these days.

She doesn't smoke or drink but she has a sedentary lifestyle and is overweight. What is annoying is that I've been telling her for years that she can't expect to be sedentary and health but theres only so much I can say withoyught her saying that I'm bullying her. She has tried exercise - bought new treadmills, rowing machines etc but she has given up after about a week.

Im concerned that she is going to have a stroke or something Id rather not have the extra worry on my mind but I can't help it.

Do any of your parents have high blood pressure?
Anonymous #1
Also can high blood pressure be fully reversed if she was motivated to make some lifestyle changes (it would take a miracle)? Or will it always be high?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Also can high blood pressure be fully reversed if she was motivated to make some lifestyle changes (it would take a miracle)? Or will it always be high?
High blood pressure can reduced - making lifestyle changes is enough to do it for some people but others need to go on medication.

If this is the only time she has had high blood pressure readings, I wouldn't worry too much about tbh. Maybe check it again in a few weeks to see what it is. Also, both systolic and diastolic readings are important.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Blood pressure increases with age and weight, but she could reduce it. But it's her choice not yours.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JamesManc)
Blood pressure increases with age and weight, but she could reduce it. But it's her choice not yours.
Thats the problem if it was my choice she probably wouldn't have high blood pressure to begin with
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads