Doing a PHD in Mechanical Eng with the following scenario Watch

roby_immigrant
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Peace, I am almost at the end of my BEng at Brunel Uni, and although I am satisfied with the work I am doing a thought crossed my mind if I do end up with 2:2 in the degree. Nonetheless, can I do phd with the following scenario:

a) 2:2 in Beng
b) Research journal publication. I going to work on it after I am done with disso soon. Supervisor said he can recommend me if I work on it after I am done with my personal work.
c) Self funded though post doctoral loan albeit I was thinking if I can fancy my chances with paid phd like a studenship of some sort.

The last option I was considering was applying for normal job market in mechanical engineering, although I was considering taking a year gap to revise all my mechanical engineering books and then apply job or is that a bad idea?
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by roby_immigrant)
Peace, I am almost at the end of my BEng at Brunel Uni, and although I am satisfied with the work I am doing a thought crossed my mind if I do end up with 2:2 in the degree. Nonetheless, can I do phd with the following scenario:

b) Research journal publication. I going to work on it after I am done with disso soon. Supervisor said he can recommend me if I work on it after I am done with my personal work.
c) Self funded though post doctoral loan albeit I was thinking if I can fancy my chances with paid phd like a studenship of some sort.

The last option I was considering was applying for normal job market in mechanical engineering, although I was considering taking a year gap to revise all my mechanical engineering books and then apply job or is that a bad idea?
Are you currently achieving 2:2s? If you are, have you sought support from your lecturers or others who may be able to help, so you can achieve a better grade?
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's possible, especially if you have good connections with your current uni.

Wouldn't recommend taking a gap year just to revise.
swelshie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I assume you "missed the boat" so to speak with first round of grad schemes?

Best chance is being prepared and nailing other vacancies now, at a level you think you can compete (60% of mech eng employed in engineering is through grad scheme/large engineering company, 40% SME). Having a 2:2 might not make you that unemployable imo as it plays a relatively small part. If you are unsuccessful by the time you graduate then go after anything you can get remotely connected to engineering. Being unemployed or underemployed just creates additional hurdles. Your psychometric test scores would probably start to drop off after a gap year. Whilst your degree never expires you can still be seen by employers as a "spent force" compared to a first round grad + not being successful is a red flag that a good interviewer will probe so you need really good reasons. Due to the level of competition for entry level jobs it is not unheard of to be successful second round or after many months if you are above average across the board.

I chose not to do any further study when I graduated and I regret that to some extent as even after as little as 3 months post-graduation you could expect questions as to how you were keeping sharp.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If you have a 2:2 in your BEng then everyone is going to tell you to do a Master's first. The requirement to enter a PhD with a Bachelor's is a 1st and for a Master's is a Merit/2:1, in practice you will need a good 1st for a BEng and a 1st for an MEng/good distinction for an MSc. I received funding with a good 2:1 but I was borderline enough that I was predicted a 1st throughout my MEng and I also had the advantage of a lot of research experience and another scholarship to help subsidise the EPSRC one. I've only ever heard of one person get onto a PhD program with a 2:2 (actually a Pass at MSc which is a bit better) and their supervisor for their dissertation thought they were a prodigy, which was basically the only reason they got it as they were continuing with the same supervisor. Honestly that will be the only scenario in which you can do a PhD with anything but a 1st, if you're either continuing with your diss supervisor or they are giving an incredibly good recommendation to someone else.

Things to think about:
1) Not all educations, dissertations and publications are made alike. From the people I've met who studied at Brunel then went on to do a PhD they did not thrive and had a very poor understanding of how to do independent research. That's not necessarily a problem for getting a PhD if your supervisor is very overbearing but it's not going to give you a good training for what to do after a PhD. A publication in a low impact factor or poorly respected journal may even count against you.

2) If you are local then self-funded PhDs are very much looked down upon as it means you couldn't get funding, arguably this is an even bigger problem on your future CV than having a 2:2. Many supervisors won't accept you without funding because of this.

3) Doctoral loans really aren't enough to get you through a PhD. At current rates you'll be spending £13,000 of it on tuition fees, you'll probably have some continuation fees on top of that, so maybe £3,000 per year to live off of. The RCUK stipend is £15k which depending on where you are can be anywhere from very comfortable to cutting it close. You cannot make up that much money with extra work and to be honest you shouldn't. Work should only be done when you are ahead in your PhD, that means putting out at least 2 publications in good journals per year. In that kind of scenario someone who has a good gig doing consultancy work might make £8k per year.

4) For your alternative plan of just getting a job in mechanical engineering this is definitely doable with a 2:2, some grad schemes will let you in but your big focus should be on smaller companies who are just looking for entry level engineers.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
OP, why do you want to do a PhD?

Non-funded PhD, yes you might get on. But don't do it, for reasons said elsewhere and definitely no gap of a year to revise books.

If you are going for a PhD at a different uni you will be 'checked out' by that uni wondering to what standard stuff you know, what skills you can do is up to.
Poverty eng
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Don't go into engineering. Its a huge scam and a terrible career awful pay grade no pay progression and a massively under respected profession zero prestige.

If you want a life of struggles to pay your leccy bills and debt collections chasing you, having to get your kids new bike from a skip then go for it.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by roby_immigrant)

Become a teacher - it is a great job and they need scientists. My son "fell" into teaching after he got 2:2 and he loves loves loves it. He is really good. He teaches physics and maths - you could do the same, earns a good salary and has travelled the world with it. If you had said to me 10 years ago that he would be a teacher I would have fallen off my chair with laughter. A Phd is hard work ( my daughter is doing one in maths and I just want her to stop - it is draining her)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (406)
68.01%
No (191)
31.99%

Watched Threads