Can I change uni after failing first year

Watch
mitrafairbankss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Basically I really dislike my course atm and know that I’m going to fail it, can I change uni altogether through clearing or do I need to contact other unis now??
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you need to plan it carefully, my friend just "left" his first uni and eventually had to pay £1,000 for not giving enough notice for the student halls etc.
You should start talking to your current uni., be very nice to them, "it's not you it's me" etc etc - they might even give you some Bologna Process ECTS credits , which may or may not be useful in your next place.

He did get into his second university using clearing, but by calling at the end of June, they then gave him two offers for two different courses. He didnt mess around calling different unis, but worked out and concentrated on a single nice place (Russell group, not that that was very important), just couldnt decide which course there - had two interviews on the phone with each department, then got the two offers.and firmed. He is V.Happy in new place, new course.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mitrafairbankss)
Basically I really dislike my course atm and know that I’m going to fail it, can I change uni altogether through clearing or do I need to contact other unis now??
If you ant to use Clearing then you need a full UCAS application (including PS and a reference - ideally from someone at your current university)...so you might as well apply now to places that you're considering. If you apply for entry into the first year then it's unlikely that they'll require a specific result from your current course (unless your A levels are well below the level they normally require for first year).

If you look at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum there's a thread called University Transfers FAQ - the first post explains the things you need to think about and decide.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good info PQ, tho' in my specific case for my friend , his new college just accepted his old UCAS file without needing anything supplemetary, whatsoever.

It's great that TSR has that University Transfers thread, only needed by a few percent of students - but it is help that is really needed, when you need it!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Good info PQ, tho' in my specific case for my friend , his new college just accepted his old UCAS file without needing anything supplemetary, whatsoever.

It's great that TSR has that University Transfers thread, only needed by a few percent of students - but it is help that is really needed, when you need it!
That's very unusual. The majority of universities would require a UCAS application to formally admit someone through Clearing. It's not a good idea to rely on that - an applicant would have more options with a full UCAS application (and it would often be possible to secure a place well before Clearing starts in July).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (462)
56.62%
I don't have everything I need (354)
43.38%

Watched Threads