The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Are there any secret societies in UEA? (secret/ drinking)

As many universities have their secret/ drinking societies as in Cambridge, Bristol, Oxford and more, does UEA has its own?
Reply 1
They do mostly to make fun of international students
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
That's so gross
Original post by Daniella_44
That's so gross

Whats so gross exactly?
Original post by Alienator
Whats so gross exactly?

People being a part of society’s made specifically to make fun of international students. Gross behaviour.
Original post by dimetra2
As many universities have their secret/ drinking societies as in Cambridge, Bristol, Oxford and more, does UEA has its own?

Hi there,

I am a current second year student at UEA, and would be happy to give my personal input on this matter.

I have been a member of a handful of societies across my two years at UEA so far, and have been on committee for a society for the two years also, so feel relatively well versed to talk on the subject.

UEA has a super wide range of societies in existence, with more being created all of the time. To see the full list of current societies please see here.

My personal experience with UEA societies has been very largely positive. It can be overwhelming when you first start as a fresher and have to put yourself out there not fully knowing what to expect, but this is a super common way to feel for most new students. I found that the vast majority of societies were run by kind and approachable people who all really loved the societies they ran and would gladly talk to any members about any concerns or questions they might have.

After now having been on the committee for a society, I have gained an insight into the checks and procedures that committee members have to go through, alongside training and meetings that must be attended in order to fulfil the roles. Therefore, I know the expectations that society committee members are required to maintain. If there was ever any negative experiences had by members of a society at the hands of the committee members or other members of the society then there are steps to be taken to right this and processes in place to deal with any issues. There will likely be a specific committee member who makes themselves known as someone that members can turn to if there is an inter-society-member issue. If the problem is with a committee member or the society at large then the SU have certain staff members that can be contacted or seen to record complaints or share any information that you may believe needs to be disclosed.

As for secret societies, I can only say that I have not heard of any actually existing in my time at UEA. This isn't to say that they definitely do not exist, I personally though have never encountered any or spoken to anyone else who has.

If there is anything else you would like to know regarding UEA's societies please let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Thanks,

Leah :smile:
UEA Law
Original post by Daniella_44
People being a part of society’s made specifically to make fun of international students. Gross behaviour.

Hi @Daniella_44 @astronau

I would like to reassure you that this is not the case at UEA at all! I have been a student at UEA for over 3 years now and have never heard of or seen any of this behaviour. The clubs and societies at UEA are open to all students and are inclusive for everyone. During my time at university I have been part of cheerleading dance, commercial dance, environmental science society and most recently joined business society and have had nothing but positive experiences and have found it a great way to make friends :smile:

You can visit this link for all of the clubs and societies available- there is something for everyone! https://www.uea.su/opportunities/societies/

Lia
MSc Marketing and Management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending