AnaWarr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So basically I’m starting to have interest in joining the RAF. I’ve looked into it a little and it seems it’s difficult to become a fast-jet pilot if you’re female. Is this true? Just wondering how competitive it is and if it’s worth going for it. Thanks
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Becoming a military pilot is hugely competitive and difficult no matter what gender you are. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a boy or a girl, you’ve got the same chances as everyone else. If you want to apply then do it! Only you can decide if it’s worth it.
Surnia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by AnaWarr)
So basically I’m starting to have interest in joining the RAF. I’ve looked into it a little and it seems it’s difficult to become a fast-jet pilot if you’re female. Is this true? Just wondering how competitive it is and if it’s worth going for it. Thanks
What makes you think it's more difficult as a female?

Yes, it's competitive, but that can be said of other roles too, just in different ways, eg physicality, academics, and trying to prove yourself at interview and OASC.

If you meet the entry requirements, and can demonstrate leadership potential, go for it.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Don't ever think 'What if' - as mentioned above - if you meet the entry requirements - give it a bloody good go - someone needs to do the job, why shouldn't it be you.

Best of luck
NFI
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
One Navy pilot got FJ out of 6 Navy students on my intake. She was (the only) female (out of a class of 30 odd) and she got it because she was very good in the air. I do sometimes think these “barriers” are there because people think they’re there, even if they aren’t.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi

The decision of whether you apply or not is entirely up to you. Have you read through all of the information on the RAF Recruitment website, entry and eligibility criteria etc. Are you ready to apply now? If so, there's nothing stopping you from submitting an application. It's the application process and how you do at Officer and Aircrew Selection that will determine whether you get to be a pilot in the RAF. You'll have the same chance as everyone else who applies.

Also, you'll apply to be a pilot, the RAF will decide which type of aircraft you'll fly (Fast Jet, Rotary or Multi-Engine etc). You can give a preference, but it will depend on a number of different factors.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
AnaWarr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

The decision of whether you apply or not is entirely up to you. Have you read through all of the information on the RAF Recruitment website, entry and eligibility criteria etc. Are you ready to apply now? If so, there's nothing stopping you from submitting an application. It's the application process and how you do at Officer and Aircrew Selection that will determine whether you get to be a pilot in the RAF. You'll have the same chance as everyone else who applies.

Also, you'll apply to be a pilot, the RAF will decide which type of aircraft you'll fly (Fast Jet, Rotary or Multi-Engine etc). You can give a preference, but it will depend on a number of different factors.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Thank you for the information. Im not yet ready to reply as I’m just about to turn 16. Currently just curious about future options. I think what I’m gling to do is join air cadets and see how I like it.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you for the information. Im not yet ready to reply as I’m just about to turn 16. Currently just curious about future options. I think what I’m gling to do is join air cadets and see how I like it.
Air cadets will give you a chance to get an insight, but it's not the same thing as joining the RAF. If you don't like air cadets it doesn't mean you won't like being a pilot - there are over 1000 air cadet squadrons out there, some good, some bad. Keep an open mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.8%
Disagree (4)
7.84%
Neither agree or disagree (14)
27.45%
Agree (18)
35.29%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.61%

Watched Threads

Latest