username3154862
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya, ya boy was rejected 3 whole times and needs to take a gap year.

I was just wondering what Advanced Higher grades would possibly get me in. Obviously the higher the better but I'd love just a rough estimation.. aka what are the average grades for a Scottish gap year student. Thanks in advance if anyone has any information regarding this, I look forward to reading it.
thatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What are your current grades? The misconception about medicine is that if you have the grades you will get in which is not the case. Medicine has a lot of facets, you need to have a lot more skills due to the pressures and nature of the job plus a lot of emotional resilience. It may be that your grades were fine but there were things other than those that need work - that's not to say you're not good enough to get in, just maybe it was your personal statement or performance at interview?
username3154862
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatonethere)
What are your current grades? The misconception about medicine is that if you have the grades you will get in which is not the case. Medicine has a lot of facets, you need to have a lot more skills due to the pressures and nature of the job plus a lot of emotional resilience. It may be that your grades were fine but there were things other than those that need work - that's not to say you're not good enough to get in, just maybe it was your personal statement or performance at interview?
Thanks for the response!
I think my grades were fine:
N5: AAAAAA (not that these matter anyways.)
Highers: AAAAB (the B wont help.. but what can I do.)
Adv (predictions): AAB (not working at this level right now though..)

My UKCAT was good enough:
Avg: 697.5 (1 single mark off of an extra point...)
SJT however was a different story, Band 3 - What I think contributed to the rejection at St Andrews.

At Dundee I know my interview sucked, Aberdeen was my only hope and I just didn't meet the requirements after grades and interview scores were taken into account.

I'm probably working at ABC rn for all my advanced highers and made this thread to hopefully see what the average grades were of a gap year student/what grades are needed.
thatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ahhh so perhaps its the SJT portion and interview technique that perhaps need a little redirecting - when you say band 3 what do you mean (I did UKCAT pre-SJT!).

What was it about the interview? Do you feel you performed well and that the scores didn't reflect this or did you feel it hadn't gone well straight after?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Edinburgh is BB (and this is the absolute minimum for any medical school). 90% want BBB or higher
username3154862
Rep:
?
Ahhh so perhaps its the SJT portion and interview technique that perhaps need a little redirecting - when you say band 3 what do you mean (I did UKCAT pre-SJT!).

What was it about the interview? Do you feel you performed well and that the scores didn't reflect this or did you feel it hadn't gone well straight after?
SJT is ranked from Band 1 -> Band 4, band 4 being the worst. 34% of applicants this year got a Band 3, which is higher than usual.
Since I got a Band 3, that lowers my chances at St Andrews dramatically as they take this potion of the UKCAT as an actual station of their interview, so before I even got to the interview it was like I already had done terrible on one of the stations. (Which is obviously not good)

I feel that I was entirely myself in the interview which is what I wanted, saying my own view points and not what the interviewer might of wanted to hear..
Ill walk through how I feel about my interviews.

Dundee:
First ever MMI interview, extremely stressed and had to take a breather before a station, lessening my time in that station and making me perform worse. One of the stations I also got asked about drugs, they asked me a somewhat ethical question regarding it and I should've just said "drugs are fine" in place of what I actually said. (Which I imagine they don't want someone to think considering some drugs are terrible and ruin lives...). If I was to do this again It'd be good as I'd have interview practice and maybe think about my answers a lot more before speaking - though I did try to do this too..
I did however feel like my "Motivation for medicine" station was amazing, I saw the interviewer's face light up and he seemed super happy to be interviewing me as I was speaking about how much I loved Ninewells and my experience in medic insight. I know he could tell how badly I wanted to get in.

Aberdeen:
Feel it went quite well tbh. One station however I turned the corner and INSTANTLY felt like the person hated me, I tried to lighten the mood by being not so serious and making jokes so it was more comfortable for me (not smart as it makes it look like I'm not interested in medicine) What made it worse is that this was on the "Motivation for medicine" section so I pretty much said "I'm not interested in medicine and don't think me getting an offer is that big of a deal" in the most important section... Also even the jokes I did make, the interviewer gave an obviously fake smile and then went back to flat "I dont care what you have to say" face. And another station I blanked completely on a think I had read up on a couple nights before, I knew what I wanted to say, tried my best to explain it but couldn't give any fine details and so did worse than I should have here..
Combine this with my B and the UKCAT score being 1 single mark from an extra point and it's not good overall.

St Andrews:
By far my best interview had one of what I felt was an extremely good station, I made a couple silly mistakes total but nothing that should immensely effect my chances, but combine that with a B in my highers, an extra point off my UKCAT score AND the Band 3 and I'm just not getting in.

I've thought about this a lot as you can see. I've made this response as detailed as I could.
If I was to do this again I think I need to chill out more in the interviews as when I'm stressed or anxious it makes it harder for me to speak and get my point across clearly. I'd maybe also think just a tiny bit more about my answers before speaking so I don't say that illegal substances are "not that bad" xD I feel like an idiot for saying that.. I think my motivation for medicine shines through so from this point on its increasing my point total by being more coherent in the interviews, getting AAA at advanced highers and (hopefully) acing the UKCAT this year.

Edit:
Sorry for the long post xD I understand if you dont want to read it all, just read the top bit to get the answer to your main question, the TLDR is that my interviews went relatively fine aside from a few muck ups - some of which probably lost me it.
Last edited by username3154862; 1 year ago
username3154862
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Edinburgh is BB (and this is the absolute minimum for any medical school). 90% want BBB or higher
Yea, that their conditions. I'm wondering about after a gap year what grades might you need?

Obviously the higher the better but what are the average grades/grades you need if you are to take a gap year. I'm imagining it'll be a bit higher than BBB.
thatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Relentas)
SJT is ranked from Band 1 -> Band 4, band 4 being the worst. 34% of applicants this year got a Band 3, which is higher than usual.
Since I got a Band 3, that lowers my chances at St Andrews dramatically as they take this potion of the UKCAT as an actual station of their interview, so before I even got to the interview it was like I already had done terrible on one of the stations. (Which is obviously not good)

I feel that I was entirely myself in the interview which is what I wanted, saying my own view points and not what the interviewer might of wanted to hear..
Ill walk through how I feel about my interviews.

Dundee:
First ever MMI interview, extremely stressed and had to take a breather before a station, lessening my time in that station and making me perform worse. One of the stations I also got asked about drugs, they asked me a somewhat ethical question regarding it and I should've just said "drugs are fine" in place of what I actually said. (Which I imagine they don't want someone to think considering some drugs are terrible and ruin lives...). If I was to do this again It'd be good as I'd have interview practice and maybe think about my answers a lot more before speaking - though I did try to do this too..
I did however feel like my "Motivation for medicine" station was amazing, I saw the interviewer's face light up and he seemed super happy to be interviewing me as I was speaking about how much I loved Ninewells and my experience in medic insight. I know he could tell how badly I wanted to get in.

Aberdeen:
Feel it went quite well tbh. One station however I turned the corner and INSTANTLY felt like the person hated me, I tried to lighten the mood by being not so serious and making jokes so it was more comfortable for me (not smart as it makes it look like I'm not interested in medicine) What made it worse is that this was on the "Motivation for medicine" section so I pretty much said "I'm not interested in medicine and don't think me getting an offer is that big of a deal" in the most important section... Also even the jokes I did make, the interviewer gave an obviously fake smile and then went back to flat "I dont care what you have to say" face. And another station I blanked completely on a think I had read up on a couple nights before, I knew what I wanted to say, tried my best to explain it but couldn't give any fine details and so did worse than I should have here..
Combine this with my B and the UKCAT score being 1 single mark from an extra point and it's not good overall.

St Andrews:
By far my best interview had one of what I felt was an extremely good station, I made a couple silly mistakes total but nothing that should immensely effect my chances, but combine that with a B in my highers, an extra point off my UKCAT score AND the Band 3 and I'm just not getting in.

I've thought about this a lot as you can see. I've made this response as detailed as I could.
If I was to do this again I think I need to chill out more in the interviews as when I'm stressed or anxious it makes it harder for me to speak and get my point across clearly. I'd maybe also think just a tiny bit more about my answers before speaking so I don't say that illegal substances are "not that bad" xD I feel like an idiot for saying that.. I think my motivation for medicine shines through so from this point on its increasing my point total by being more coherent in the interviews, getting AAA at advanced highers and (hopefully) acing the UKCAT this year.

Edit:
Sorry for the long post xD I understand if you dont want to read it all, just read the top bit to get the answer to your main question, the TLDR is that my interviews went relatively fine aside from a few muck ups - some of which probably lost me it.
The insight into how it all went is pretty good - are you just looking at Scottish unis? Yeah, ethics stations mess everyone up! In mine I was completely stuck until I thought out loud about why would someone take drugs - at that point I noticed the examiner lean in a little more which then prompted me to talk about how we need to understand why someone feels the need to use drugs in order to properly tackle that and gets the patients trust - turns out they quite liked that because it has a lot of relevance in practise!

Yeah, I wouldn't joke around in interviews, it might work for the odd interviewer but majority will perceive it as arrogance - are there any mock ones you can attend? I help out at some local colleges who run mock MMIs and the students find it really helpful.
username3154862
Rep:
?
The insight into how it all went is pretty good - are you just looking at Scottish unis? Yeah, ethics stations mess everyone up! In mine I was completely stuck until I thought out loud about why would someone take drugs - at that point I noticed the examiner lean in a little more which then prompted me to talk about how we need to understand why someone feels the need to use drugs in order to properly tackle that and gets the patients trust - turns out they quite liked that because it has a lot of relevance in practise!

Yeah, I wouldn't joke around in interviews, it might work for the odd interviewer but majority will perceive it as arrogance - are there any mock ones you can attend? I help out at some local colleges who run mock MMIs and the students find it really helpful.
I attended no mock MMIs. I intended to apply to Manchester to use them as my practice as they run MMI - I know I'd not get in and even if I did, I wouldn't accept them mainly because of the costs.. (I'm not the richest so I'm staying in scotland as uni is MUCH cheaper here for us, though I'd pay anything to get into medicine if I could.)

I did get an interview from Manchester however my parents said I couldn't go as it was "too expensive". This comes down to them not listening to me when I said I wouldn't pick it as my uni even if it was my only offer. I get it costs a bit to go down to Manchester (It wouldn't have been too expensive for petrol, it could also be a day out to see out family that is in England of around £100.) for the sake of an interview which means nothing but the practice I feel still would've helped a lot with all my other interviews hence why I'm still upset about it. I'd pay to go down there myself too, in that case they're not out of pocket and I'd get what I want but its not like I can just leave, especially since I can't drive yet..

I know joking wasn't good but that's just what I do sometimes in situations where I'm uncomfortable.. It's apparently a common way of lightening the mood.

I'll defo do more mocks next year if I get interviews, I did a couple of "interviews" with my teachers but they were nothing compared to an MMI interview.
I did notice myself actually picking up signals from the interviewer, I changed what I was saying according to that too, I don't know if they intentionally make it obvious that they want you do change direction or not but it sure helps when you notice it.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yea, that their conditions. I'm wondering about after a gap year what grades might you need?

Obviously the higher the better but what are the average grades/grades you need if you are to take a gap year. I'm imagining it'll be a bit higher than BBB.
As long as you have the entrance requirements you will have a shot. Aim for AAA and that you won't need to worry
thatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I attended no mock MMIs. I intended to apply to Manchester to use them as my practice as they run MMI - I know I'd not get in and even if I did, I wouldn't accept them mainly because of the costs.. (I'm not the richest so I'm staying in scotland as uni is MUCH cheaper here for us, though I'd pay anything to get into medicine if I could.)

I did get an interview from Manchester however my parents said I couldn't go as it was "too expensive". This comes down to them not listening to me when I said I wouldn't pick it as my uni even if it was my only offer. I get it costs a bit to go down to Manchester (It wouldn't have been too expensive for petrol, it could also be a day out to see out family that is in England of around £100.) for the sake of an interview which means nothing but the practice I feel still would've helped a lot with all my other interviews hence why I'm still upset about it. I'd pay to go down there myself too, in that case they're not out of pocket and I'd get what I want but its not like I can just leave, especially since I can't drive yet..

I know joking wasn't good but that's just what I do sometimes in situations where I'm uncomfortable.. It's apparently a common way of lightening the mood.

I'll defo do more mocks next year if I get interviews, I did a couple of "interviews" with my teachers but they were nothing compared to an MMI interview.
I did notice myself actually picking up signals from the interviewer, I changed what I was saying according to that too, I don't know if they intentionally make it obvious that they want you do change direction or not but it sure helps when you notice it.
It's a little counterintuitive applying for a place you have no intention of going to because it uses up a precious option on your UCAS, even if just for potential interview practice as you're never guaranteed one.

Joking is a common nervous thing but not always appropriate - especially if the scenario is serious so unfortunately it's just something you need to learn to suppress for the sake of an interview (but as you mentioned ofc read the situation and the interviewer!)

Unfortunately the nature of MMIs makes them difficult to prepare for so the best thing to do is keep up to date on current issues in medicine and to keep an open mind - there's nothing more concerning than a candidate who believes they have 100% insight (can't count how many have told me they've done extensive work - hello, you're 17?) and that they'll never shy away because they're the ones likely to be quite disillusioned with the reality of the job. It's the ones who are more upfront with their shortcomings that tend to perform well because it shows good self-reflection which is crucial for goal-setting and progression.
username3154862
Rep:
?
It's a little counterintuitive applying for a place you have no intention of going to because it uses up a precious option on your UCAS, even if just for potential interview practice as you're never guaranteed one.

Joking is a common nervous thing but not always appropriate - especially if the scenario is serious so unfortunately it's just something you need to learn to suppress for the sake of an interview (but as you mentioned ofc read the situation and the interviewer!)

Unfortunately the nature of MMIs makes them difficult to prepare for so the best thing to do is keep up to date on current issues in medicine and to keep an open mind - there's nothing more concerning than a candidate who believes they have 100% insight (can't count how many have told me they've done extensive work - hello, you're 17?) and that they'll never shy away because they're the ones likely to be quite disillusioned with the reality of the job. It's the ones who are more upfront with their shortcomings that tend to perform well because it shows good self-reflection which is crucial for goal-setting and progression.
For the first point you gave, there's no other thing that I would apply for or even accept. You could argue "why not apply for Edinburgh or Glasgow" but I knew that's pointless too as Edinburgh would auto reject me cause of the B and the Band 3 SJT. Glasgow would auto reject me also as they require AAAAA. Manchester said on their website I should have been pretty much guaranteed an interview cause my UKCAT average was at their cut off, I knew I'd never accept it but hey - interview practice. That was my though process at least.

Yea, this year I plan to get experience shadowing a GP, possibly volunteer/work at a hospital for a while also and attend other medicine related events.
I would do even more if I could but on top of this I'd be doing my exams, doing the UKCAT, working on my personal statement and volunteering which collectively is a lot to fit into a short period of time. - Keep in mind I can't do 1/2 these things without having learnt to drive first making the total time a lot shorter.

The work experience I have right now is working in a hospice, shadowing nurses at the hospice, shadowing the doctor at the hospice, medic insight (which was 1 week of work experience) and I've read a bunch of books about life as a doctor.
^ Last year I also applied for a position at a GP as a receptionist however I didn't get it. (I also know that ^ that doesn't give as full an understanding as to what a career in medicine is like also, I wanted to do even more last year but the exams and the UKCAT just came so quick :/)

Do you have any other suggestions aside from what I've mentioned as to what I could do? Thanks if so
thatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think focus on the grades and UKCAT and personal statement - if you're able to improve on those it may well change where you can feasibly apply to but it sounds like experience wise you're looking in all the right places. Just bear in mind that long-term commitment to volunteering at one place in particular is more favourable than lots of shorter experiences
username3154862
Rep:
?
I think focus on the grades and UKCAT and personal statement - if you're able to improve on those it may well change where you can feasibly apply to but it sounds like experience wise you're looking in all the right places. Just bear in mind that long-term commitment to volunteering at one place in particular is more favourable than lots of shorter experiences
Alright, thanks After this year it'll be 1.5 years of working in the hospice total which is relatively long commitment wise. I know that theres a care home down the road that I could possibly work at so I'll maybe try get a space there at some point. Since it's not too far away I can maybe cycle there.
med2002
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya, ya boy was rejected 3 whole times and needs to take a gap year.

I was just wondering what Advanced Higher grades would possibly get me in. Obviously the higher the better but I'd love just a rough estimation.. aka what are the average grades for a Scottish gap year student. Thanks in advance if anyone has any information regarding this, I look forward to reading it.
I’m in the exact same position as you. Got rejected from all unis post-interviews and now looking into taking a gap year. I’m definitely aiming for AAA in my exams but I’ll be happy with ABB because I think the minimum offer is usually BBB. I had interviews at Dundee, Glasgow and St Andrews and I seem to have mucked them all up. I thought Dundee went quite well and I also did medic insight there last summer which I thought would help me when talking about my experience but I think one of my main problems was that when talking about experience I spoke to the interviewer as if I was talking to a friend, not really mentioning how it has impacted my view or medicine. Also there were a couple of questions about the NHS which I didn’t know how to answer and my mind went completely blank. So my hopes weren’t too high for Dundee. St. Andrews was just a huge muck up and Glasgow I thought was my best interview but I think I may have had the same problem as with Dundee in regards to talking about work experience. Also my UKCAT was much lower than yours and I also got SJT Band 3 so hopefully looking to improving it this summer.

Good luck with everything!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.71%
No, they should still go ahead (56)
13.79%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.5%

Watched Threads