The Student Room Group

Can I challenge a university's decision to reject me?

I am studying a Level 3 extended diploma in Aeronautical Engineering and I wish to carry on with Engineering at a higher level, at uni. However, I was really hoping to get an offer from Surrey but they require a maths A-Level on top therefore leading me to get rejected. A few of the other unis that I have applied for made me an offer regardless of the A-level even though its on their spec on their website, but not surrey. Does anyone reckon that it is worth ringing surrey up to speak with them about it or would it just be pointless?
Reply 1
What would you recommend?
Original post by cavant
I am studying a Level 3 extended diploma in Aeronautical Engineering and I wish to carry on with Engineering at a higher level, at uni. However, I was really hoping to get an offer from Surrey but they require a maths A-Level on top therefore leading me to get rejected. A few of the other unis that I have applied for made me an offer regardless of the A-level even though its on their spec on their website, but not surrey. Does anyone reckon that it is worth ringing surrey up to speak with them about it or would it just be pointless?

I think it would be pointless as Surrey have a good reason for rejecting you and it is logical enough that they want applicants to have A level maths since the course is so mathematical. I'm guessing that the other unis were less competitive than Surrey which is why they can't afford to be so fussy. All you can do is accept their decision and think about which of your other offers is the best one for you
Original post by cavant

It is pointless at this stage. If you contacted them, your main argument would be that other universities accepted you without the Maths A level, which isn't a very compelling argument for Surrey to consider. They would just suggest going to one that did accept you, rather than entering into a dialogue with one that didn't. It's best to just move on and concentrate on weighing up the pros and cons of the universities that did give you an offer.
Even if you meet the entry requirements of a uni, they can still chose to reject you. Each uni is allowed to set their own entry requirements and they are allowed to be flexible in these and change them year on year.

Unless a mistake has been made e.g. they have rejected you for not having a qualification listed on your application, there's no process to appeal or challenge the decision.

Rejection is always disappointing, but hopefully you can move forward with one of your other offers.
Original post by cavant

any uni which allows you to study Engineering without maths A level isn't a serious university.
suck it up
Original post by CollectiveSoul
any uni which allows you to study Engineering without maths A level isn't a serious university.

man's back again with the piff advice
Original post by Afterlife?
man's back again with the piff advice

what next, you don't need to study medicine to be a doctor?
Gap year and do maths alevel
Everything happens for a reason. You will look back in a few years and be so glad Surrey rejected you because you were clearly meant to go to one of the other ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending