The Student Room Group

Best Chemistry A level exam board?

What do people think? I would rather do one which is 100% exam based.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Id say OCR was 'quite' easy for Sciences in genral, but have never done OCR Chemistry. But WJEC what I do is apparently the hardest according to my teacher. (So why we do it ? :frown: )

I doubt many people have done 2 sylabuses in one subject, and its probably a bit subjective too.
Reply 2
Anything apart from OCR Salters.
Reply 3
Yeahh, i agree. But i suppose what i'm asking is how people have found their exam board. Someone told me that OCR was one of the hardest... I dont really know if it would be better to have cw or 100% exam based sylabus.
Reply 4
OCR Salters is disgusting.
Heh, yeah you're gonna get a lot of "definitely not x". So I'll join in: definitely not Edexcel Nuffield. *shudder*
im doing OCR spec. A and i find its pretty good to many exams though

4 exams 4 hours 15 mins worth for As that was insane!
In my Welsh college we do WJEC Chemistry....

I don't do it, but from what my friends say it's very difficult....
Reply 8
I do AQA Chemistry and to be honest it is pretty easy...
Reply 9
I'm doing Salters and I don't think it's very good. There's two textbooks and they're very waffly and confizung. For our assesment there's 2 exams (75min and 90min) and a practical thing and an "open book" which is pretty much a massive comprehension exercise.
Sun!
Id say OCR was 'quite' easy for Sciences in genral, but have never done OCR Chemistry. But WJEC what I do is apparently the hardest according to my teacher. (So why we do it ? :frown: )

I doubt many people have done 2 sylabuses in one subject, and its probably a bit subjective too.

ive done WJEC and AQA for maths. In wales practically every school does WJEC. Over the summer i did C1,C2,C3 FOR wjec, did all past papers etc. Then my school decided they were going to change to AQA, so had to do a little bit extra. I think they covered similar content, but emphasis was on different things - in WJEC i think exactly the same questions come up every year, and it is more prove this is this, whereas in AQA there is more flow to the questions - as in you use part a and b to find the answer for c - i like that, also there is great emphasis o graph work. For further pure modules - they are completely different though.

For chemistry - WJEC is considered the easiest
Edexcel Nuffield wins worst board hands down.
P_Ben21
What do people think? I would rather do one which is 100% exam based.

me too, i hate practicals!
claire_bear90
I'm doing Salters and I don't think it's very good. There's two textbooks and they're very waffly and confizung. For our assesment there's 2 exams (75min and 90min) and a practical thing and an "open book" which is pretty much a massive comprehension exercise.

yeah its a piss take, wish i never took salters...

luckily for next years lot they scrap the open book ****
!MEna

Ditto
PindropSilence

luckily for next years lot they scrap the open book ****

What!!!? :eek: That's so stupid - we had to put up with it this year, so next years should have to as well!
Reply 16
Sooooo, Edexcel then??
!MEna

i do OCR Salters which is terrible, although apparantly the actual content is mroe interesting, the layout of it is SOO annoying

i think any exams which include the words "salters" or "nuffield" are crap,
which is why SNAB biology is so bad!

whats so bad about edexcel nuffield?
Sun!

just goes to show that you dont do OCR chemistry because it is NOT the easiest. Its the best but by far the hardest.

and i also agree with edexcel nuffield and ocr salters being a pile of ****e.
i absulutly HATE ocr salters chemistry! especially the coursework! urghhh... but i have to stick with it! -.-

i heard nuffield was the hardest chemistry A lvl... dono for myself though coz i dont do it

but i imagine AQA would be quite nice, seeing as though it was great to do Double Away GCSE Science ( i loved that only 2 coursework and rest exams(3) :biggrin: )

but ocr salters...are crap!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending