The Student Room Group

Have you ever been headhunted at the end of your time at University?

Have you ever been headhunted at the end of your time at university and if so what university and/or course?

Just curious because my friends in South Africa who graduated from UCT got headhunted heavily before they left university.

I go to Swansea University and one company sought me out but I think they sought me out based on who I used to work for. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Themysticalegg
Have you ever been headhunted at the end of your time at university and if so what university and/or course?

Just curious because my friends in South Africa who graduated from UCT got headhunted heavily before they left university.

I go to Swansea University and one company sought me out but I think they sought me out based on who I used to work for. :biggrin:

Yes I have, and from Swansea Uni. Its usually due to experience, sometimes because you go to a uni with a big name (e.g. Cambridge). It heavily depends on the industry and country: some unis are heavily targeted for a particular industry because they prepare students very well in terms of practical experience (, and recruiters are guaranteed that these candidate will be good (e.g. Heriott-Watts for chemical engineering). Others recruit based on prestige because of the list of successes the unis have produced. There are lots for reasons.
(edited 5 years ago)
Nope :frown:
Original post by kkboyk
Yes I have, and from Swansea Uni. Its usually due to experience, sometimes because you go to a uni with a big name (e.g. Cambridge). It heavily depends on the industry and country: some unis are heavily targeted for a particular industry because they prepare students very well in terms of practical experience (, and recruiters are guaranteed that these candidate will be good (e.g. Heriott-Watts for chemical engineering). Others recruit based on prestige because of the list of successes the unis have produced. There are lots for reasons.

Ohhh nice! What do you study?
Reply 4
Sort of, but to go work in another uni.
Original post by gjd800
Sort of, but to go work in another uni.

Oh nice! What do you work as?
Original post by Poooky
Nope :frown:

I believe in you Poooky! :h:
Reply 7

Lecturer, freshly qualified (well, few months).

Cleaner. He scrubs them bogs good, so the Uni of Cambridge hired him from ARU.
Reply 9
Ohhh nice! What do you study?

I study Maths. The role I got headhunted for was for finance, which preferred finance related degree.
Reply 10
Original post by Notoriety
Cleaner. He scrubs them bogs good, so the Uni of Cambridge hired him from ARU.

It doesn't matter how much you offer, I am NOT gonna scrub them boxers of yours.
Original post by gjd800
It doesn't matter how much you offer, I am NOT gonna scrub them boxers of yours.

It's only dried yoghurt, man. I don't even have to be in the room to watch you do it; I said you can just record it. But I must insist you play Goodbye Horses by Q Lazzarus while you clean up.
Reply 12
It's only dried yoghurt, man. I don't even have to be in the room to watch you do it; I said you can just record it. But I must insight you play Goodbye Horses by Q Lazarus while you clean up.

Yknow, it's that song that is the problem.
Original post by gjd800
Yknow, it's that song that is the problem.

I might accept Do You Wanna Funk? by Patrick Cowley as a close second, but I'm taking £50 off.
Reply 14
I might accept Do You Wanna Funk? by Patrick Cowley as a close second, but I'm taking £50 off.

Hmm. I need to consider this.
Original post by gjd800
Lecturer, freshly qualified (well, few months).

Oh nice congratulations! What do you teach?
Original post by kkboyk
I study Maths. The role I got headhunted for was for finance, which preferred finance related degree.

Ok you get headhunted more than my friend who actually does Finance at Swansea. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Oh nice congratulations! What do you teach?

Cheers, appreciated.

Philosophy (and increasingly, Indian religion)
I initially read the thread title as headbutted.

I've had several unsolicited phone calls from recruitment agencies offering me interviews.
Reply 19
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
I initially read the thread title as headbutted.

I've been that more frequently :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending