The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Accommodation

Hi
I’m currently looking for accommodation on campus for my first year, and I was just wondering what is the difference between the different colleges?

Thanks!
Ellie
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, I'm a current first year at Lancaster Uni so if you have any other questions just let me know. Honestly, aside from location there's barely any difference in colleges. There's no sort of separation here where people only chill with people in their own college etc., that just doesn't occur here. The one known to be the most social is Griezedale but honestly that's not really true as others are just as lively. I'd personally recommend choosing a college that's closest to the centre of campus such as Fylde, Furness or Griezedale (Bowland is close too but it's not as nice imo). If you're looking for quite social colleges choose Fylde/Griezedale otherwise Furness is a good alternative (it's a much smaller college).
I'd always recommend choosing your college by room type first, then the distance to your department. I think the size/type of college can also be important if lots of colleges are offering the same rooms. For me, I've loved being in a smaller college as it feels a lot like a little community, but I know others who prefer a bigger college as there are more opportunities to meet like-minded people. Some colleges have a rep for being sportier than others but this changes over the years - used to Fylde, now its County - so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
I wouldn't say there's any difference in the sociability of colleges really, although I have noticed in some colleges ensuite accommodation tend to mix a lot less. I think that is just down to who's in the flat though, so that's very hard to predict!

Quick Reply

Latest