The Student Room Group

Economics at Bristol - Does the course include coding?

I'm choosing where to do my Economics PGDip and I'm quite keen on Bristol at the moment but can't seem to see any specific modules for programming for econ in the course outline. Just wondered if perhaps the core econometrics modules perhaps include any aspect of this?
Reply 1
Original post by IzzyAnne
I'm choosing where to do my Economics PGDip and I'm quite keen on Bristol at the moment but can't seem to see any specific modules for programming for econ in the course outline. Just wondered if perhaps the core econometrics modules perhaps include any aspect of this?

You do not typically have dedicated modules on coding or programming. Anything you need, you'll have to pick up in your spare time. That said, to a large extent, the coding you would be expected to do at a BSc or MSc level is very limited. Coding requirements in economics are much more relevant and necessary when doing a PhD or working as an academic economist.

As for coding in your econometrics classes, again this is unlikely. The focus will be theoretical (so pen and paper derivations), and an emphasis on understanding the theory, as opposed to putting it into practice. You'll get the opportunity to do this during a dissertation, if you undertake an MSc after your PgDip, but again you'll be expected to pick up anything yourself.
Reply 2
There is no coding in undergrad Econ.
It'll either be like ACS suggests, pure theory, or maybe it has an applied part where they teach how to use a software to do some of the stuff you're learning.
Reply 3
Original post by mxlila
There is no coding in undergrad Econ.
It'll either be like ACS suggests, pure theory, or maybe it has an applied part where they teach how to use a software to do some of the stuff you're learning.

Hmm interesting. In France they seem to have dedicated modules for it. Would you say it would be an advantage to be taught this at uni or is it something better learned in your own time through online courses?
Reply 4
Original post by IzzyAnne
Hmm interesting. In France they seem to have dedicated modules for it. Would you say it would be an advantage to be taught this at uni or is it something better learned in your own time through online courses?

I've found the best way to learn coding is actually having the need to do it and doing it yourself. So for example, having the need to learn how to solve DSGE models in Dynare or estimate SVAR/DFMs in Matlab, etc. because you have an assignment due or you need to do it for your dissertation or thesis, etc.

I feel a coding class in and of itself would be weird and not beneficial unless it was structured around clear examples. So, the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics runs annual summer schools, with courses in econometrics/empirical methods. In the morning is the mathematical theory behind the models, but in the afternoon the models are taken to the data and specific academic papers are replicated to illustrate the coding, etc. If coding is "taught", I think this approach is likely the best way to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending