uni requirements Watch

ellie246
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
If I wanted to take medicine is in uni, and the requirements are chemistry and biology. Will I still be able to apply of o only take biology
upbeat4
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No, those are the requirements for that uni. If you don't meet them, then they'll reject you preinterview as you don't have the subjects that they want. If you really want to make sure, I'd contact the uni admissions team directly and see what they think.
phoebeg76
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ellie246)
If I wanted to take medicine is in uni, and the requirements are chemistry and biology. Will I still be able to apply of o only take biology
If the requirements are Biology and Chemistry then you will have to take both to be even considered. It's an entry requirement because the course will build on knowledge that you learn in both of the subjects, so they won't let you take the medicine course if you haven't done the prerequisites.
It's for your own good though, its not being meaninglessly exclusive. If you were to try and do the degree without chemistry A-Level you would be much further behind everyone else and wouldn't really know what was going on.
If you want to do medicine, which it sounds like you do especially as you've researched what A-Levels it requires, then make sure you take the right A-Levels to do it.
If you've already started your A-Levels, it is possible to take more A-Levels after you've finished school to get what you need before applying for medicine.
pinkbacon1437
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Pretty much all unis want Chemistry as far as I’ve seen + another science/maths
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
Your post imo is a bit unclear.
Upbeat is correct if you are saying your target uni requires both chem and bio and you only have bio. Chem and Bio plus one other are the best combination to keep open the widest range of schools.

That said it is possible to just do Bio or Chem and still be able to apply to a much smaller number of medical schools via foundation.

If you also do Maths plus one of those, then that will allow you to apply to a limited number of schools.
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Have a look here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studyin...y-requirements
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Currently 10 medical schools will take you without Chemistry, though I have not seen requirements for the 2 new ones coming online for next year.
Advice would always be to take both Chemistry and Biology to keep all options open
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%