The Student Room Group

Why does AQA Biology feel the need to talk such bullocks about farming?

For starters, the question about battery hens in B2 was a load of nonsense. They simply don't lay more eggs than free range chickens. I could have written a long-winded explanation of how the number of daylight hours affects how many eggs they lay and how extra lighting can be supplied to manipulate this but that can apply to free range chickens as well and I doubt that it would be on the mark scheme anyway. Instead, I gave them the answer they wanted (don't move around so much / lose less heat / more energy for laying) and put a little arrow saying that it was nonsense and that I should know because I keep chickens.

The textbook also contains a load of nonsense about farming. It says that bull calves from the dairy industry are raised for meat. WRONG. They are shot at ~1 day old because their feed-to-weight gain ratio is so poor (and they don't get to be as heavy in the end anyway) that it is much more profitable to have a separate beef herd of a different breed.

Anyway, it leaves anyone who knows anything about farming asking do I put the right answer or the answer that is in the textbook?
The answer in the textbook as the examiner follows a mark scheme so they might not know about how the techniques work realistically.
However, if stuck I would put what you actually believe happens as it may get you one or two marks.

Latest