The Student Room Group

My school has banned music

I'm really annoyed because my school has just gone and banned MUSIC and HEADPHONES during lesson. They talk about how it distracts you but if anything it helps me concentrate and I get more work done! They also introduced another rule that was no phones OUT on school premises. So basically all times including before and after school. This is stupid because my mate gets to school in the mornings about half and hour early and she always has her phones out to listen to music. She says nobody wants to chat either. All I'm asking is 'Do any of you have some clue why they banned HEADPHONES?' I understand the phone thing but like... come on. Music?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Haafizah.
I'm really annoyed because my school has just gone and banned MUSIC and HEADPHONES during lesson. They talk about how it distracts you but if anything it helps me concentrate and I get more work done! They also introduced another rule that was no phones OUT on school premises. So basically all times including before and after school. This is stupid because my mate gets to school in the mornings about half and hour early and she always has her phones out to listen to music. She says nobody wants to chat either. All I'm asking is 'Do any of you have some clue why they banned HEADPHONES?' I understand the phone thing but like... come on. Music?

Never knew they allowed it during lessons? Shouldnt you be listening to the teacher? Isnt it rude to be listening to music instead? They cant ban it before and after school if you arent on the premises.

Perhaps speak to the headteacher? It all sounds a bit snowflake to me.
Reply 2

You mean there were ever schools that allowed music in class? Kyrie eleison.

When I was at school, mp3 players were only just becoming common. There were people who still had personal CD players or cassette players. But there was a blanket ban on those in the classroom. Mobile phones weren't allowed on school grounds, let alone to be out or in use.

The thing is, you're in school to learn, not to listen to music. Moreover, you're in lessons to listen to the teacher, not to listen to music.

Get over yourself, you little brat.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Sorry guess I didn't make it clear. First of all, I listen to it on a laptop, so it isn't a phone. I don't even have a phone. Second, I take my earphones out when the teacher speaks, but they aren't speaking or the entire lesson so when we do the things on our own I listen to music. But then I suppose that's why they banned it, because some of the girls have those airpods and they don't take it out.
Original post by 999tigger
Never knew they allowed it during lessons? Shouldnt you be listening to the teacher? Isnt it rude to be listening to music instead? They cant ban it before and after school if you arent on the premises.

Perhaps speak to the headteacher? It all sounds a bit snowflake to me.

Original post by Tootles
You mean there were ever schools that allowed music in class? Kyrie eleison.

When I was at school, mp3 players were only just becoming common. There were people who still had personal CD players or cassette players. But there was a blanket ban on those in the classroom. Mobile phones weren't even allowed on school grounds.

The thing is, you're in school to learn, not to listen to music. Moreover, you're in lessons to listen to the teacher, not to listen to music.

Get over yourself, you little brat.
Reply 4
Sorry guess I didn't make it clear. First of all, I listen to it on a laptop, so it isn't a phone. I don't even have a phone. Second, I take my earphones out when the teacher speaks, but they aren't speaking or the entire lesson so when we do the things on our own I listen to music. But then I suppose that's why they banned it, because some of the girls have those airpods and they don't take it out.

You shouldn't be presuming to listen to music in class, ever.
If your school has a public address system, find where the microphone for it is located, position your music playing device next to it and play a very explicit song for the whole school to hear, as a form of protest. :sly:
Reply 6
Haha we'd have had our devices launched across the room if we presumed to play music during a lesson!
I used to feed my headphone through the sleeve of my school jumper and lean on my hand which made it look like I was just resting my head but I was acc listening to music :colone:
Lmao is this for real?

As far as I'm aware phones/headphones have never been allowed in lesson, you're there to listen and learn, not to mention that it's disrespectful af.
Not the end of the world. My school also didn't allow phones on school grounds. I'm still alive. You won't be allowed headphones or music in exams so better get used to getting work done without them.
at my school most of us chaps used to smuggle portable gramophones into class to listen to "jazz" music and so on.

http://www.thegramophonecollector.com/photos/DSCF0084.JPG
Sounds like a smart decision honestly.

As a uni student I listen to music during lectures I can't be arsed with (yes that sounds bad but it's the truth). I can see many school students doing this too.
Reply 13
I had Latin jazz on in the office today and everyone went mental at me. Through a portable speaker, like :laugh:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
I had Latin jazz on in the office today and everyone went mental at me. Through a portable speak, like :laugh:

They should have just been happy it wasn't metal!
Reply 15
Original post by sinfonietta
They should have just been happy it wasn't metal!

Even I'm not that inconsiderate :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
Even I'm not that inconsiderate :laugh:

Aren't you sweet! 😛
Reply 17
Aren't you sweet! 😛

Well, yes, obviously!

But it's not wholly selfless, I want a proper gig there so not treading on too many toes ;-) :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
Well, yes, obviously!

But it's not wholly selfless, I want a proper gig there so not treading on too many toes ;-) :laugh:

I'll pretend you're just being nice in hope that others will believe it too.
Reply 19
I'll pretend you're just being nice in hope that others will believe it too.

Yes, propagate the lie for me and I shall compensate you in wine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending