Am I studying enough for National 5 Watch

plsA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Exams start in May *sigh*, for my prelims I got 3 A's and 3 B's by just doing past papers and reading through some notes, I haven't really started a study timetable then and just studied for what I need to. But, exams start soon so I want to up my game by getting atleast 5 A's, 1 B, so I have decided to start a study timetable, however I am unsure as to how much time I should spend studying per week. I used the mySQA app to make a timetable and it says 12hrs 45mins for studying per week. I want to know if that is sufficient enough for Nat5 (I am doing 6 subjects), I'm also fine with most of my subjects, just one or two maybe I need to look over more. Do you think the amount of hours I'm doing per week (12hr45m) is enough for 4-5 weeks?
goldilocks12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’d say that’s probably enough for N5. They don’t count for much so there’s no point stressing loads and you could probably even do a little less and still do well. Good luck
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
plsA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks for replying!
(Original post by goldilocks12)
I’d say that’s probably enough for N5. They don’t count for much so there’s no point stressing loads and you could probably even do a little less and still do well. Good luck
Jacob_stre1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yeh, nat 5s don't matter too much just have fun this year and get straight As in your higher year, it makes applying to uni much less stressful.
Jacob_stre1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by plsA)
Exams start in May *sigh*, for my prelims I got 3 A's and 3 B's by just doing past papers and reading through some notes, I haven't really started a study timetable then and just studied for what I need to. But, exams start soon so I want to up my game by getting atleast 5 A's, 1 B, so I have decided to start a study timetable, however I am unsure as to how much time I should spend studying per week. I used the mySQA app to make a timetable and it says 12hrs 45mins for studying per week. I want to know if that is sufficient enough for Nat5 (I am doing 6 subjects), I'm also fine with most of my subjects, just one or two maybe I need to look over more. Do you think the amount of hours I'm doing per week (12hr45m) is enough for 4-5 weeks?
But in terms of how much to do, just check your learning by doing past papers, improve on the first result until you are in the 90% and up category, then just do that for all your subjects.
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by plsA)
I would say that's enough, as you're mainly looking to maintain your grades, and want to improve some of them...There will be people doing lots more, and plenty of people doing less, but it's not so much about how long you're spending, but rather how well you're using that time. Hope that your exams go well
crtvscntstt89
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
if you are doing maths. use this nat5 maths website https://www.national5maths.co.uk/fre...nal-5-maths-2/
the best way to revise for maths is doing as many past papers as you can. this is what I did to get A.
when you do the past paper and mark it. look for topics you still need to work on. make a list of these topics. now go to this nat5 math website and find questions on this topic. do these questions again and again on the topics you highlighted. this is the best way to revise for maths.
also when you are marking your maths questions. used a different coloured pen. when you come across a question you answered wrong. write a note beside the question about what you did wrong and how to avoid it next time. this way, you can read over these little notes once in a while so you remember what mistake not to make again.

hope it helps best of luck with your exams.
crtvscntstt89
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What National 5s are you taking this year? maybe i can help with other subjects too.
I have attached a word document that has a list of all the topics for maths. you can edit it if you like to, for example, include marks for the exercises you did for that particular topic or you can just print it as it is. so you can keep record of what you have revised and what you still need to do.

definitely work hard on your nat5s, they are as important as your highers. even if they are not looked at when you apply for uni but still try and get as many good grades as you can.
Attached files
Last edited by crtvscntstt89; 2 weeks ago
plsA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks for replying, I am taking,

ENGLISH
MATHS
COMPUTING SCIENCE
PHYSICS
MODERN STUDIES
DESIGN AND MAN

Thanks for the helpful word document, though I won't be using it much as I think my N5 maths are very good, I'm getting atleast 85% + in past papers but always room for improvement so thanks! I'm also very confident in D&M, and CS, and I'm also starting to get a great grip of Modern and English. Physics, I'm just going to keep practising.

Also do you have any other checklists for the subjects that I have mentioned?

(Original post by crtvscntstt89)
What National 5s are you taking this year? maybe i can help with other subjects too.
I have attached a word document that has a list of all the topics for maths. you can edit it if you like to, for example, include marks for the exercises you did for that particular topic or you can just print it as it is. so you can keep record of what you have revised and what you still need to do.

definitely work hard on your nat5s, they are as important as your highers. even if they are not looked at when you apply for uni but still try and get as many good grades as you can.
crtvscntstt89
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have attached some links to websites you can use for revision

PHYSICS
https://smarshallsay.weebly.com/national-5.html

Link to a checklist
https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/pk...g-Outcomes.pdf

MODERN STUDIES

You can use this link, it has some resources you can use https://belmontmodernstudies.wordpre...xam-questions/
I have attached the questions and answers below. You can use these to make flash cards using the bullet points for each question. And memorising these. Then answer the question by elaborating on the bullet points you have memorised. I used this link http://www.modernstudiestutor.com/?page_id=5 to download these questions and answers.

Also many high schools have websites where they post resources for their students which you can make use of too. Just type in ‘solved past paper questions’ and stuff for each of the subjects. I am sure many school websites will come up.
I did not pick any of these subjects other than maths so I cannot give any particular revision advice for these subjects. But I hope these links will help.
plsA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
thanks again
(Original post by crtvscntstt89)
I have attached some links to websites you can use for revision

PHYSICS
https://smarshallsay.weebly.com/national-5.html

Link to a checklist
https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/pk...g-Outcomes.pdf

MODERN STUDIES

You can use this link, it has some resources you can use https://belmontmodernstudies.wordpre...xam-questions/
I have attached the questions and answers below. You can use these to make flash cards using the bullet points for each question. And memorising these. Then answer the question by elaborating on the bullet points you have memorised. I used this link http://www.modernstudiestutor.com/?page_id=5 to download these questions and answers.

Also many high schools have websites where they post resources for their students which you can make use of too. Just type in ‘solved past paper questions’ and stuff for each of the subjects. I am sure many school websites will come up.
I did not pick any of these subjects other than maths so I cannot give any particular revision advice for these subjects. But I hope these links will help.
sunnyflower
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is that checklist from last year ? xx
Jacob_stre1
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by plsA)
Thanks for replying, I am taking,

ENGLISH
MATHS
COMPUTING SCIENCE
PHYSICS
MODERN STUDIES
DESIGN AND MAN

Thanks for the helpful word document, though I won't be using it much as I think my N5 maths are very good, I'm getting atleast 85% + in past papers but always room for improvement so thanks! I'm also very confident in D&M, and CS, and I'm also starting to get a great grip of Modern and English. Physics, I'm just going to keep practising.

Also do you have any other checklists for the subjects that I have mentioned?
You're all good, just do well in Highers, then you can relax in s6
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (376)
37.49%
No - but I will (76)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (480)
47.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed