TVD27
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How would one go about obtaining training in Czech Republic or Hungary, so that I can apply for full registration in the UK. I'm trying to plan out my career path if I were to get a place at Semmelweis Hungary or Charles in Prague.

I ask this as I know you cannot apply for provisional registration if you graduate from these two countries.

Also, I would really appreciate it if you could do your best to convince me not to go to to any of these countries to study medicine.
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is your background? Why do you think you cannot study medicine in the UK? Grades? UK folk generally only consider studying medicine in Eastern Europe if there is a good reason why they can’t study it in the UK, so I’m assuming that there is a reason why you’re considering Europe. Without knowing more, it’s hard to advise.

Also, what do you mean by training in Hungary / Czechia? Do you mean postgraduate training once you’ve qualified as a doctor? Degrees at these universities are slightly longer than UK (usually 6 years) and include an internship that is generally recognised by the GMC to be equivalent to UK FY1 year. This is why full rather than provisional registration is granted, and graduates apply directly for FY2 level posts in the UK.

If you graduate from Hungary / Czechia and wish to do postgraduate training in the UK, there is no need to do any additional training overseas beyond med school.
TVD27
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’d say I have a strong background in math and the three sciences got 4As at a level and an A in AS further math, I’ve applied twice, I got 5/7 interviews but 4 rejections after interview so far, my last chance at 2019 Med entry is Leicester waiting for their reply. I’ll try clearing and extra as well, but if those don’t work out, I’d rather apply for engineering/finance or dentistry than accept my offer of biomed at Sheffield(not accredited btw).

Medicine is always going to be my first choice as a career but I don’t think it’s worth applying a 3rd time to get rejected and have to change course anyway.

And yes I meant postgrad training, it’s great to know that I won’t have to undertake any training there. What’s worrying me is that after brexit, the internship year won’t be treated the same as a FY1 year so I’ll be stuck abroad.

That’s why I applied to Italy as well as the med degrees there are more reputed. If I do end up applying for engineering/finance I’ll apply for entry to Irish Med schools as well.
(Original post by junior.doctor)
What is your background? Why do you think you cannot study medicine in the UK? Grades? UK folk generally only consider studying medicine in Eastern Europe if there is a good reason why they can’t study it in the UK, so I’m assuming that there is a reason why you’re considering Europe. Without knowing more, it’s hard to advise.

Also, what do you mean by training in Hungary / Czechia? Do you mean postgraduate training once you’ve qualified as a doctor? Degrees at these universities are slightly longer than UK (usually 6 years) and include an internship that is generally recognised by the GMC to be equivalent to UK FY1 year. This is why full rather than provisional registration is granted, and graduates apply directly for FY2 level posts in the UK.

If you graduate from Hungary / Czechia and wish to do postgraduate training in the UK, there is no need to do any additional training overseas beyond med school.
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So I think you have your answer, unfortunately it sounds as though there is a problem with interview technique. This is something you should look into - get feedback from the universities if you can.

No-one currently knows what will happen after Brexit. I don't think it will change how the 'intern year' of European med schools is viewed, but it might affect the way that EU degrees are seen by the UK. In the sense that currently, most non-EU grads are required to sit the PLAB exam in order to gain GMC registration. The UK will soon be introducing its own national medical licensing exam for all med students studying in the UK, and it may be that everyone wanting to practise in the UK needs to sit this - currently unknown.

As far as recognition of European degrees post-Brexit, I don't think it will make any difference whether a degree is from Italy or Hungary. Either they will both be recognised, or they will both require something extra eg an exam, to obtain UK registration. As long as it's GMC recognised, I don't think it makes a huge difference where you graduate from.

Your options seem to be:

- Get some decent interview feedback and practice, really hone your technique, and then reapply for UK medicine - seems like the best option to me, if you still really want medicine and plan to practise medicine in the UK in the future.

- Consider medicine overseas in Europe - but lots of uncertainties at the moment, you'll need to learn a language, and there are plenty of other challenges such as being far from home, training in a very different system to the UK.

- Decide to pursue an alternative career that's not medicine.

It's going to be a very personal decision for you, whether you want to continue to pursue UK medicine and all that includes such as another year to improve your application, whether you're still so committed to medicine that you want to try going overseas if you can't get into the UK, or whether you decide that actually, maybe you could be happy doing something different and you don't feel able to go and study abroad (totally reasonable).

What do YOU see as the downsides to training in Europe, if you're "hoping to be dissuaded"?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads