Spanish A Level Watch

trbx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I was just wondering how people found their Spanish A-Level? I'm currently studying it at GCSE and get pretty decent grades (6/7), however, I feel as though I'm not good enough at speaking to be able to carry it on for another two years. Just want to hear your experiences and advices. Thanks )
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey!

I did A-level Spanish last year and managed to get an A. I'm not going to lie, it is quite a step up but as long as you're organised then you'll be absolutely fine. It's important to realise that languages aren't one of those subjects you can just cram a few weeks before the exam. They require consistent revision throughout the two years if you want to get a good grade. For example, I made sure I spent 15 minutes a day either listening to or reading something in Spanish and making notes of all the vocab and grammar structures that I didn't know.

I really wouldn't let the speaking aspect put you off. I had the same worries as you as at GCSE as speaking was definitely my weakest skill. However, you end up improving so much throughout the 2 years that by the time your speaking exam comes around you'll be fine. I was a shaking, stuttering mess in my speaking exam as I was so nervous but everything turned out okay!

I'd say the worst part about the speaking exam is the actual preparation for it. You'll have to do an IRP (Independent Research Project) where you basically make a presentation on any topic you like relating to Spain or a Spanish speaking country (I did mine about corruption in Mexico). You have to do quite a lot of research for it as after your presentation you'll have a 10 minute discussion with the examiner about it and they can pretty much ask you anything about your topic. After that, you'll also have a small 5 minute discussion on any of the cultural topics you covered throughout the 2 years (e.g Spanish traditions or internet usage in Spain). This was a bit of a pain as you do end up covering quite a lot of topics but if you start preparation early and keep your class notes organised then you'll be okay. The whole thing does seem quite scary but it's not as bad it sounds!

I'm currently doing Spanish as part of my degree so if you have any questions feel free to ask!
Camryn0903
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love Spanish and I'm taking it for a level now... I really have nothing to add from what the other response was apart from the fact that you have to study a film and a book as well... you have to be able to analyse... so if you dont like or arent comfortable with English literature ... well... the GCSE exam for English lit.. is very similar to part of the Spanish exam at a level.. just.. in Spanish instead ... but it's a great subject and I am thoroughly enjoying it... so.. it's your choice 😊👍
(Original post by trbx)
Hi, I was just wondering how people found their Spanish A-Level? I'm currently studying it at GCSE and get pretty decent grades (6/7), however, I feel as though I'm not good enough at speaking to be able to carry it on for another two years. Just want to hear your experiences and advices. Thanks )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
15.28%
The paper was reasonable (959)
55.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (370)
21.5%
It was TERRIBLE (129)
7.5%

Watched Threads