archizzle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know there are other threads about this, but they haven’t helped me come to a conclusion yet. I know I still have around a month to make my final decision, but I'm kinda stuck as an international. I'm considering both the US and Canada, but since getting a Canadian citizenship is way easier, I'm leaning towards either McGill or Queen's in Canada. I'd like to preface that the cost of attendance isn't a deciding factor for me.

Right now my pros/cons list is:

McGill
  • Pros:
    • Great international reputation for the school as a whole
    • Montreal is a great city
    • Great campus
    • Large international student body
    • Great party/social scene lmao
  • Cons:
    • Its rank is declining (apparently it's underfunded by the Quebec government? Ouch.)
    • People say that the business faculty just rides along the prestige of the rest of the school; the consensus seems to be Ivey (#1) > Queen's (#2) >> McGill (#3)
    • Grade deflation
    • Extremely lacking school spirit

Queen's
  • Pros:
    • Arguably the best all around undergraduate business program in Canada (this is a pretty big factor for me)
    • Smaller class sizes
    • Great school spirit (this actually matters to me lol)
    • Great party scene once again
  • Cons:
    • As an international, the school is virtually unknown. This matters to me since I've been working to get into a prestigious school for a while
    • Primarily Caucasian student body (I've been in very international schools my whole life with a good mix of people)
    • Kingston? Doesn't seem like a great city
    • Relatively small undergraduate class size and the campus seems kinda boring, from what I can tell
zero_gravity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by archizzle)
I know there are other threads about this, but they haven’t helped me come to a conclusion yet. I know I still have around a month to make my final decision, but I'm kinda stuck as an international. I'm considering both the US and Canada, but since getting a Canadian citizenship is way easier, I'm leaning towards either McGill or Queen's in Canada. I'd like to preface that the cost of attendance isn't a deciding factor for me.

Right now my pros/cons list is:

McGill
  • Pros:

• Great international reputation for the school as a whole
    • Montreal is a great city
    • Great campus
    • Large international student body
    • Great party/social scene lmao
  • Cons:

• Its rank is declining (apparently it's underfunded by the Quebec government? Ouch.)
    • People say that the business faculty just rides along the prestige of the rest of the school; the consensus seems to be Ivey (#1) > Queen's (#2) >> McGill (#3)
    • Grade deflation
    • Extremely lacking school spirit

Queen's
  • Pros:

• Arguably the best all around undergraduate business program in Canada (this is a pretty big factor for me)
    • Smaller class sizes
    • Great school spirit (this actually matters to me lol)
    • Great party scene once again
  • Cons:

• As an international, the school is virtually unknown. This matters to me since I've been working to get into a prestigious school for a while
    • Primarily Caucasian student body (I've been in very international schools my whole life with a good mix of people)
    • Kingston? Doesn't seem like a great city
    • Relatively small undergraduate class size and the campus seems kinda boring, from what I can tell
First of all, congrats on your acceptance!

In terms of international reputation, McGill clearly has the upper hand. However, it seems that Queen's Commerce is a better programme for commerce. If you are planning to work in Canada, then I would recommend going to Queen's instead, unless you want to leave your options open in case you want to go back to your home country.

I wouldn't discount the U.S. schools that you've applied to as well. Which U.S. schools were accepted to? If they are more reputable than McGill or Queen's, then I think it's worth considering, as it might also help you secure a job position in Canada.

You also have to consider your options to immigrate to Canada. McGill and Queen's are located in different provinces; Quebec and Ontario both have different immigration programmes and policies. It's best that you do your research before moving forward. I'm aware that Ontario has a provincial nominee programme. From what I've heard, Quebec has a pretty easy immigration pathway for students, but you have to make sure that you maintain a certain level of French.
archizzle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by zero_gravity)
First of all, congrats on your acceptance!

In terms of international reputation, McGill clearly has the upper hand. However, it seems that Queen's Commerce is a better programme for commerce. If you are planning to work in Canada, then I would recommend going to Queen's instead, unless you want to leave your options open in case you want to go back to your home country.

I wouldn't discount the U.S. schools that you've applied to as well. Which U.S. schools were accepted to? If they are more reputable than McGill or Queen's, then I think it's worth considering, as it might also help you secure a job position in Canada.

You also have to consider your options to immigrate to Canada. McGill and Queen's are located in different provinces; Quebec and Ontario both have different immigration programmes and policies. It's best that you do your research before moving forward. I'm aware that Ontario has a provincial nominee programme. From what I've heard, Quebec has a pretty easy immigration pathway for students, but you have to make sure that you maintain a certain level of French.
Thanks for your input. I'm still somewhat torn between McGill and Queen's, but the latter is definitely growing on me. I don't really have a home country since I've lived in three different countries, and I'm mostly planning on staying around Toronto in the future.

I got rejected from my reaches in the U.S., specifically NYU Stern, UMich Ross, and Berkeley. However, I got accepted into IU Kelley, UIUC, Northeastern, Penn State, Purdue, and Boston University. As far as I know, besides IU Kelley, none of these universities really have the reputation or opportunities that my Canadian schools offer.

I wasn't aware of the differing immigration programs. Thanks for that, I'll have to look into it. Hopefully my family in Ontario can help guide me through the immigration process as well.
OMG354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by archizzle)
Thanks for your input. I'm still somewhat torn between McGill and Queen's, but the latter is definitely growing on me. I don't really have a home country since I've lived in three different countries, and I'm mostly planning on staying around Toronto in the future.

I got rejected from my reaches in the U.S., specifically NYU Stern, UMich Ross, and Berkeley. However, I got accepted into IU Kelley, UIUC, Northeastern, Penn State, Purdue, and Boston University. As far as I know, besides IU Kelley, none of these universities really have the reputation or opportunities that my Canadian schools offer.

I wasn't aware of the differing immigration programs. Thanks for that, I'll have to look into it. Hopefully my family in Ontario can help guide me through the immigration process as well.
Did you take the SAT ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads