Sala pilot David Ibbotson 'not qualified to fly at night' Watch

-Eirlys-
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
"The pilot of the plane which crashed into the English Channel with Emiliano Sala on board, was not qualified to fly at night, BBC Wales understands.
David Ibbotson is thought to have been colour-blind, and his licence restricted him to flying in daytime hours only.
Footballer Sala, 28, died when the plane carrying him from Nantes to Cardiff crashed late on 21 January.
The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said it could not comment.
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said licensing "continues to be a focus" of its investigations.
Regulatory authorities have confirmed that Mr Ibbotson, from Crowle, North Lincolnshire, did not hold a "night rating" on his UK private pilot's licence, the BBC understands."

Read more here.
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why was he given a pilot's licence at all?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
"The pilot of the plane which crashed into the English Channel with Emiliano Sala on board, was not qualified to fly at night, BBC Wales understands.
David Ibbotson is thought to have been colour-blind, and his licence restricted him to flying in daytime hours only.
Footballer Sala, 28, died when the plane carrying him from Nantes to Cardiff crashed late on 21 January.
The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said it could not comment.
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said licensing "continues to be a focus" of its investigations.
Regulatory authorities have confirmed that Mr Ibbotson, from Crowle, North Lincolnshire, did not hold a "night rating" on his UK private pilot's licence, the BBC understands."

Read more here.
You missed off

Flight plans seen by BBC Wales indicate the flight scheduled to take Argentine player Sala for his first training session with Cardiff City had been due to leave Nantes airport at 09:00 local time on 21 January.

But the flight was postponed until 19:00, at the request of Sala, to allow him to spend the day saying goodbye to his Nantes teammates.

By the time Mr Ibbotson taxied a Piper Malibu plane on to the runway ready for take-off shortly after 19:00, it would have been around an hour and 10 minutes since sunset.

Its a very sad event , but it appears to be a collection of errors. there are also references to him being in a bit of debt. Maybe he shouldnt have flown and said no, but we dont know if night time was the reason for the accident at this stage.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DSutch)
Why was he given a pilot's licence at all?
Because he was qualified to fly? He just had some restrictions, but within the parameters he was classed as safe to fly. We wont know until the report what happened and whether he was at fault or whether it was other factors.
akbar0123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why was he flying at night then? Bad David
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So I guess he obliged with the delay because Sala may have got another flight instead if he couldn't go at night and the pilot couldn't afford not to do the job, due to his debts.

I imagine that's a plausible explanation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (452)
37.95%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.61%

Watched Threads