The Student Room Group

Fitness to practice

Started my course in September of 2017, was committed voluntary to a mental ward in Jan 2018. Still waiting for fitness to practice for nursing. It's not looking great kind of don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Original post by Spence197
Started my course in September of 2017, was committed voluntary to a mental ward in Jan 2018. Still waiting for fitness to practice for nursing. It's not looking great kind of don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Hey there! Sorry you havent had any replies

I hope youre doing okay "hugs: I assume when you say 'fitness to practice' you mean mean fitness to be Nurse. I dont know anything really about that aspect of it, so wouldnt want to advise anything, but I would say try mot to stress about the decision as you have no control over it.

However, while you are waiting on that, try and be positive or do things to distract you like going out (I find a walk helps me when Im feeling like this).or see if there is a new hobby you could find?

Try and connect with any friends you have as they'll know you so might be able to help more.
Original post by Spence197

Sorry to hear you're worried about fitness to practice. Do you have any dates for your meetings yet? If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to request a copy of the university's fitness to practice policy so you know what to expect.

We have a guide about the process which also covers criminal convictions, but the process (panel, interview, statements) will be pretty similar for any issue:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5780318

We also have a guide on working as a healthcare professional with a MH diagnosis which should be useful (it covers whether you should disclose, what the process is, what happens if your MH changes) which you can find here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Working_as_a_Healthcare_Professional_with_a_Mental_Health_Diagnosis

If you want to provide more details (either here or via PM if you would rather not disclose) I'm happy to advise in terms of potential outcomes, although it's obviously not possible to predict what happens on the day.
Is this an actual FtP or are you needing occupational health clearance again following your hospital stay?
Reply 4
The FtP was planned for this Jan however the OH wanted my to attend an independent phycologist review before the FtP. They made this request a week before the FtP and where unable to book an appointment in time. Which was frustrating.

The OH had all ready cleared me for the FtP after the hospital stay.
Original post by moonkatt
Is this an actual FtP or are you needing occupational health clearance again following your hospital stay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending