How is setting presented in Dr Jekyll and Hyde
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Graceolad)
How is setting presented in Dr Jekyll and Hyde
Do you mean London. You could talk about how the home of Hyde is in Soho. How Hyde entered through a shabby entrance into the home of Jekyll suggests parallels within Jekyll's home and so his character.
9989AQA
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could easily describe the duality of the city, as well as Jekyll's house. Regarding context, Stevenson grew up surrounding himself by the duality of the city of Edinburgh (drugs, drinking and prostitution)especially as he was of higher class. This is reflected onto the duality of each setting contributing to this idea. Context and duality both majorly contribute to setting in the novel. Each aspect described regarding setting has a tone of duality... street lamps lit in in a dark street / alley (light vs dark)... Jekyll's house linking to Hyde’s...

“ fog rolled onto the city” Stevenson uses pathetic fallacy to create specific tones regarding setting... in this case the fog passing could symbolise the unraveling of “the strange case of Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde” (regarding the title of the novel,going slightly of topic but it is very important that you emphasise that it is MR Hyde and DR Jekyll, that Hyde is of lower class so his crimes are more exceptable as he is younger and of lower class than Jekyll. This could also reflect Stevenson’s personal internal conflict as he was of higher class and any misbehaviour was highly frowned upon)

Most settings are used to create a sense of darkness which contributes to the continuous feeling of secrecy and mystery throughout the novel, this makes the reader feel anxious as they can almost foreshadow that a frightening event will take place. Stevenson always plays with the idea Victorian fears regarding all aspects of the novel not just setting.
Graceolad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
Do you mean London. You could talk about how the home of Hyde is in Soho. How Hyde entered through a shabby entrance into the home of Jekyll suggests parallels within Jekyll's home and so his character.
Thanks ... do you have any quotes !
Graceolad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Graceolad)
Thanks ... do you have any quotes !
Thanks do you have any quotes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (127)
34.89%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (48)
13.19%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
6.04%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.89%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (47)
12.91%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed