utv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
why does transpiration occur. I know it is a side effect of photosynthesis due to stomata opening but why does water evaporate into the air spaces from the mesophyll cell walls in the first place. is this the way plants rid excess water like how we do when we urinate?
angela_12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm pretty sure its just to do with diffusion
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by utv)
why does transpiration occur. I know it is a side effect of photosynthesis due to stomata opening but why does water evaporate into the air spaces from the mesophyll cell walls in the first place. is this the way plants rid excess water like how we do when we urinate?
You are asking about rhe reason, if I do rhis right.

It is to regulate the own water supply. To much or to few water and the plant fades.

Urination put it quite in a nutshell.
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 years ago
idk01
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The reason simply is because the water potential (basically water concentration) is higher in the leaves than in the air; therefore, it diffuses out, down its concentration gradient.
NadineAhmedHelmy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well I remember asking my biology teacher the exact same thing.

One of the main uses of water in a plant body is to help keep it turgid, prevent wilting, and is used for photosynthesis of course as well as help act as a body of water for transport of enzymes and nutrients of course. But what really surprised me is the fact that the plant doesn't use most of the water it absorbs via the roots, and only uses a very small percentage (not sure exactly.) A leaf will transpire many times more water than its own weight.

So basically, transpiration helps gets rid of this excess water it has due to the transpirational pull all day, but the MAIN reasons why transpiration is important is that it helps COOL the plant down.

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads