Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Name:  Back into the swing of things.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  11.3 KB

Hey everyone!

So, I'm in my final year of school (Y13), and am pretty much set on going to Plymouth University! This post is just to start off my series of thoughts and questions which I am bound to be asking from now until results day. The activity will probably be rather spotty too, but that'll probably just mean that I'm busy working on schoolwork and revising for exams. I'll also be asking important questions such as things to look out for in uni; best accommodation; creative ways to budget; etc.

I'm really excited, but I need to meet and beat the grades first.

Let's see how it goes! ^^

Grades:
Spoiler:
Show
GCSEs: 5A*s, 4As, 1B

Currently doing A-Levels: (if you didn't know from my school year :P)
Predicted A*AA. [Art, Design Technology, and Maths]

Need to get BCC to get in, but still want to aim for the best grades I can possibly get.

Course:
Spoiler:
Show
Aiming to get on the Computing and Games Development course (3 Years with a year optional placement). Really want to learn how to code games properly, which I already know you can do in degree-apprenticeships and it saves the student loans, but I want to experience what life as a student undergraduate is like. You can go to uni at any age, but you only really get one chance at that kind of experience.
Last edited by KJEKJE Says Hi; 4 weeks ago
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Ohai!

Currently working on a comic for the school paper. It's the last comic that I will be doing for the paper and it's been quite a wild ride, with days full of drawing, erasing, colouring, and crying after my laptop crashes or runs out of battery.

It's really late in the night though, and I should be in bed now. Actually in hindsight, this is probably not the best time to be leaving a post here. Well I guess it helps with getting a badge..

Meh, still going anyways- chances are that I'll fall asleep trying to work on it. Not really sure why I have no interest in sleeping. My mind ticks a lot at night, and eventually it'll slumber..

^~^
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Ohai!

So, after a long day of school, I'm back here typing this update here :P

The comic I was doing until late at night on Sunday got finished, and I'm quite proud with how it turned out. Had I had more time, I would've properly done it over on the laptop. Scanning it in was a bit of a bother, since it kept not showing up on the school computer.. got there eventually though. Perhaps I'll post it here some time, but for now, I've got other stuff to do.

I also went to an open art exhibition at my school, showcasing artwork made by various teachers and old students. Long story short, I very much enjoyed seeing how the works were made and what were the inspirations behind them. Had a few interpretations of my own for a few, but I feel over time I'll analyse things in more detail.

In other news, I was very productive in the school workshop today. Stayed there 'til around 6ish (didn't get home until 7). Managed to finally get the hinges fitted into my prototype, as well as as well as sort out what I've got left to do. It's a pretty long list, but not impossible to overcome. I'm determined to get through it by the end of the week!

Now I need to find out how big the lock mechanism will be on my prototype, and once I know that, I'll be flying.

Optimistic, but under pressure, whew ._.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Hey everyone! Sooooo, a lot has gone on since the last time I posted!

- I got a lot of my DT prototype done, which I'm really happy with. Was working under a lot of time pressure to get it to a working state for testing, so getting it done is a quite a large weight off my back
- My sleep patterns have been improving since I'm starting to wake up earlier. Still need to work on my body clock though, especially in the "actually have breakfast" area.
- I got a lot of past papers which I can now go through over the Easter break, which is great for revising.
- Speaking of which, it's Easter holidays now! I've been able to make a loose timetable sheet. Parts of it have been left empty for slots where I will add to them closer to the time, so it makes my schedule flexible and quite fun.
- Lastly, I finally firmed my choice for Plymouth University on UCAS! After a lot of thinking beforehand, I'm happy to say that it's been now officially replied to. I can finally move onto topics such as accommodation and student finance.

It's been a pretty productive few days, actually, and I plan to keep at it! I've got a lot of coursework still to finish up over the Easter break, so I'll see how it goes ^^
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Ohai!

So, I've been keeping up a lot with the news today. Quite a lot going on with Brexit it seems, but at the same time, not enough .3.
I've been going to an art space that I go to a lot to do my artwork, and was able to get a drawing sketched out today, ready to be painted later tonight.

However, I feel like I wasn't able to get a lot of my DT folder work done today. Not really sure why, likely a mix of distractions, as well as my jaw hurting a lot today.

I'm also looking at accommodation for Plymouth, and am stuck on two choices. Will start a new discussion later on asking about it ^^

Hope to get a lot more done tonight and tomorrow, but for now it seems to be going ok.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ohai!

A fair amount has been going on since the last time I've posted here. It's been a mix of high to low productivity. Let's see:

- I know which accommodation I have chosen to go to at Plymouth, and that is the Astor House! I was stuck on that or the Francis Drake, and I feel I'm making the right decision. I have booked anything yet- I still need to check out all of my student finance first.

- My revision seems to veer off a lot of the time. I'm definitely revising and getting some notes done, but I'm becoming increasingly concerned that I'm not revising efficiently. The main thing that annoys me is that I made a revision timetable, but I keep sleeping through my alarm whenever I wake up, so half of my day is already ruined. I will be working on that in the coming days by simply going to bed earlier (either that or put on more alarms :P)

- There are about 5 days before I go back to school for the Summer Term, and that's around the same time my DT coursework needs to be all finished by. I'm setting a deadline for 2 days before to make sure that I have a little bit of leeway to add finishing touches on it, as well as prepare my things for school.

- I looked into more about Plymouth University, and the more I see of it, the more I really want to go! It really gives me the motivation to get the best possible grades for myself.

- Also celebrated a good few birthdays and events over Easter. In some cases, it would've been nice to have used some of those days to work on my schoolwork, but since that wasn't going to happen, I enjoyed them all for the moments. Can't spend the time there moping around with what you can't do. That'll just make you feel down. ^^

Other stuffs:

- Super Smash Bros had the V3.0.0 update. It's awesome. I'm aware of how much time I spend on it though, so I will be cutting down a lot on my play time to make sure that everything is done in time.

- Avengers: Endgame is right around the corner too. Boy, a lot of stuff is going on right now ._.

So yup! That's about it! I'm diligently working on the rest of my DT, making sure that it's all good, as well as working on my sleep patterns and self-control habits. Let's see how it goes! ^^
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Ohai!

Alright, 19th of April. As of today, I have four days to get all of my DT NEA A-Level Coursework done. I will be working on it throughout the day and keeping a log of milestones achieved, as well as likely keep a to-do list and tick off things as I go along. I may edit this particular post throughout the day to make sure that I don't accidentally spam on the frontpage thread.

I'm currently in a position where I've done a lot of coursework here and there, but it's in many different places. The first thing I need to do is collate them all into one main folder and then work from there.

Please note: This thread was created to keep track of all the things I do and how I am approaching my studies in the lead up to my A-Level exams, so it's a bit like a blog. I'm happy to chat about anything regarding how I'm approaching my studies, or even just simply say hi!

Ever-changing To-do List:-
- Continue building on TinkerCad
- Finish some artwork with Sharpie Pen |done|
- Finish documenting and updating page on Ergonomic and Anthropometric Data. |done| Also Analysis of Different Materials.
- Enquire about accommodation |done|
Last edited by KJEKJE Says Hi; 4 weeks ago
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Update: 12:02pm (ish)

I have been learning how to use TinkerCad, another 3D model-making software, in the hopes that I can make some other models to consolidate what I have already designed in the past. Most of my other initial ideas come in sketches, so using more CAD in my work will show any of the mechanical features I planned to incorporate into said designs.

Things I made during my break: I made a quick sketch on ArtWeaver, a software I use to make artwork, as well as updated settings on various accounts to improve security on them. Got locked out of some of my accounts haha :P

- Next aim is to continue making models and keep learning TinkerCad, as well as continue to work on my DT folder work.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Update: 17:26pm

I've been looking particularly at my student finance and getting everything in order, learning a lot more about tuition fees and maintenance loans. After consulting with the rest of my family, I now know properly what my annual budget will be like when I get to uni. Headspace feels lighter now, which is good. ^^

I also managed to get the paintings finished for my Art coursework this afternoon, which I'm very happy about, so now I'm just working on my DT folder more now.

- Next aim is to look specifically at my initial ideas, and polish them more now.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Ohai!

So, I was able to look at pretty much all of my student finance and I'm very much set on accommodation now. The only thing now is to enquire and book, but the only thing stopping me now is that it's Easter weekend, so there's no customer service available ^-^; Done all I can really do for now.

DT.. three days remain, but realistically I have less than two days to get it all finished, and it feels like there's a long way to go..

It's not impossible though, and I'm determined to get through it all. I've got a mocha on my side to keep me going, and a lot of lofi tunes to keep me calm throughout the day and potentially late night.

See how it goes, right? ^^
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Ohai!

Welp, it's 3:22am right here! Currently still working on my DT folder listening to some electronic music to keep me upbeat and chirpy. I've managed to get a lot of it done today, and am still working on it as we speak. TSR's pretty quiet at night-time, I've found, since there aren't as many threads posted. Guess a lot of users are asleep right now ^-^

Either way, I've still got a fair way to go, but I'm not down and out yet!

Name:  Still going!.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  9.5 KBOh yeah, I drew this little sketch here whilst I'm taking a break from my work for a bit.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Fine, ill come right out and say it.

Why have you wasted your predictions of A*AA.

To go to plymouth...

Thats a place you consider if you've been predicted...
CCC....
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Fine, ill come right out and say it.

Why have you wasted your predictions of A*AA.

To go to plymouth...

Thats a place you consider if you've been predicted...
CCC....
Appreciate the comment, thanks for stopping by :P

Thing is I couldn't find a course that had entry requirements close to what I was looking for. I wanted to go on courses that taught me how to program games, since I like all there is to a game. Most courses I found only got to BBB tops. In fact, Plymouth's was BBB, but got lowered.

Also, it's not like I'm aiming only for BCC, I still want to get high grades regardless.
Showaddywaddy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi)
Appreciate the comment, thanks for stopping by :P

Thing is I couldn't find a course that had entry requirements close to what I was looking for. I wanted to go on courses that taught me how to program games, since I like all there is to a game. Most courses I found only got to BBB tops. In fact, Plymouth's was BBB, but got lowered.

Also, it's not like I'm aiming only for BCC, I still want to get high grades regardless.
Was Plymouth the only university you applied to?
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Showaddywaddy)
Was Plymouth the only university you applied to?
Nope, also applied to Birmingham City, Bournemouth, East London, and Goldsmiths.
Showaddywaddy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi)
Nope, also applied to Birmingham City, Bournemouth, East London, and Goldsmiths.
Ah ok, was going to say you should keep your options open. I mean if you have your heart set on a university, that's fine but always best to keep other options open. I'm currently at Northumbria but I kept options open for other universities in case of changed circumstances etc (Mostly local because I live in a Northumberland village and I don't want to have to bother with student accommodation, living in a city, etc, shits claustrophobic man.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Showaddywaddy)
Ah ok, was going to say you should keep your options open. I mean if you have your heart set on a university, that's fine but always best to keep other options open. I'm currently at Northumbria but I kept options open for other universities in case of changed circumstances etc (Mostly local because I live in a Northumberland village and I don't want to have to bother with student accommodation, living in a city, etc, shits claustrophobic man.
That makes sense, I get that! I've thought about each uni and considered the pros and cons for all of them, and got to Plymouth in the end. It's a place I definitely want to go to, hence the ambition to get there through this thread.

Heart's been set on it for a while. Thanks for the advice and taking the time to chat ^^
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Ohai!

Wow, so a lot's been going on. I'm really busy making sure that all of my DT and art exam book is done by Monday. That's the long and short of it really. These last few days are absolutely crucial, which is why I haven't posted on this recently. It seems to be going pretty well so far, and I'm just getting all of the annotations done in my DT folder now.

I'm just hoping that I can get my art done to a good standard ready for Monday. It'll take some time to prep it all, but I'm optimistic that I can make it through! I made a timetable and everything, which is allocated in hourly chunks to ensure I don't burn out or anything, so I'm ready to pull out all the stops! ^^
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
And a little bit words from me:

"If you feel like you're falling down into the hole of despair, push on through, since there's bound to be light at the end of it. If there isn't, well.. you have hands. The climb will be tough, but anything is better than wallowing in sorrow and staying down here. That's for sure."

I don't think that makes total sense, but hey, I know what it means to me anyways. Take it as you will.

Have a nice evening :P
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Alright, April 28th. Day before my Art Exam, as well as the last day to really finish off my DT coursework.

Is it possible, probably, but it sure is going to be a long-shot.

I'll probably update this through the day like I did when I was working on my DT that other time. Very determined to get it all done by the end of the day. Let's see how it goes, right? ^^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (205)
22.16%
The paper was reasonable (392)
42.38%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.24%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.22%

Watched Threads