DerpyHuntsman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello Guys!
So GCSEs are coming up and I was thinking about whether I should change my options for A Levels for Y12. I did ok in my mocks and I feel like I will get the grades I need for my A Level options (requirements) but I'm not sure whether I should pick maths or physics.
*I am planning to go into medicine

My A Level choices (at the moment): Maths, Biology, Chemistry

My mock results:
8s: Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science
7s: Maths, Biology, History
6s: Business, English Language
5s: French, English Literature

What do you recommend I pick and why?
Thanks!!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DerpyHuntsman)
Hello Guys!
So GCSEs are coming up and I was thinking about whether I should change my options for A Levels for Y12. I did ok in my mocks and I feel like I will get the grades I need for my A Level options (requirements) but I'm not sure whether I should pick maths or physics.

My mock results:

Thanks!!!
Bio and Chem, then one other which you find the most interesting and least effort.
I dont think difference between getting an 8 and a 7 is that large, so also look at the specification, interest, who is teaching and experience of other students in sixth form.

I think Maths is the single most useful A level, but really do the one that interests you and you can get a decent grade in.

AAA or better within 2 years of starting is what you need.
Dancer2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Physics A level will be a lot harder if you aren’t taking maths as well. Can you take all four and drop one once you have decided?
DerpyHuntsman
Rep:
?
I struggle with some of maths but I was only 1 mark off an 8 in mocks. Physics is very easy for me and I got an 8 with 20 minutes in a revision guide beforehand. However, circuits are a nightmare and I find a lot of it boring. I think I would rather do maths as I won't be as bored but I know that with physics I will get a better grade.
(Original post by 999tigger)
Bio and Chem, then one other which you find the most interesting and least effort.
I dont think difference between getting an 8 and a 7 is that large, so also look at the specification, interest, who is teaching and experience of other students in sixth form.

I think Maths is the single most useful A level, but really do the one that interests you and you can get a decent grade in.

AAA or better within 2 years of starting is what you need.
DerpyHuntsman
Rep:
?
True I could, however, I don't like potentially investing a year into a subject to just drop it.
(Original post by Dancer2001)
Physics A level will be a lot harder if you aren’t taking maths as well. Can you take all four and drop one once you have decided?
ProperLad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A lot of people will take four then decide which one to drop, but this doesn’t take a year.
In most cases, after maybe a month, sometimes less, sometimes slightly longer, you know which subjects you prefer and you can drop the one you don’t want to continue.

You don’t need to dedicate a year to it, just a few weeks
True I could, however, I don't like potentially investing a year into a subject to just drop it.
yasmin03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I could be biased but I’d say maths honestly. Maths will help with calculations in biology and chemistry, and 1 grade difference (and still a 7 in maths so it’s very good anyway) won’t make much difference anyway at gcse level. I’m going to be doing biology, chemistry and maths as I want to go into molecular gastronomy (basically fancy food science) but if that doesn’t work out I can still go into medicine. Having a maths a level can also get you into a degree in biology or chemistry (or maths obviously) as well as medicine as far as I know. However if you know that you won’t be interested at all in maths then probably physics
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
maths bio chem sounds good.
Hello Guys!

My mock results:

Thanks!!!
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
I struggle with some of maths but I was only 1 mark off an 8 in mocks. Physics is very easy for me and I got an 8 with 20 minutes in a revision guide beforehand. However, circuits are a nightmare and I find a lot of it boring. I think I would rather do maths as I won't be as bored but I know that with physics I will get a better grade.
Honestly id go for easiest grade with least effort. they dont care about the third and you need to get the grades amongst other things. Talk to your teachers and look at the spec. Dont forget A level is different.
toby4413
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do both maths and phydics
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, from someone who's been through the entire university process - take the subject that will be the easiest for you to get a good mark in. Especially considering the fact that you want to go into Medicine, you don't want the extra headache of potentially getting a low grade in Maths.

It doesn't matter what's considered more useful in life. Do the easier option and increase the chances of you getting accepted for a Medicine course (the chances are already stacked against you as they are with everyone else applying for the course).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads