The Student Room Group

Gym routine help?!!

Okay so since I got with my boyfriend I’ve started to gain a little weight that I really didn’t want. I am really self conscious about my weight so I always wear hoodies or over sized T-shirt’s, I want to get out of this habit for the first time since I was about 8. I do go to the gym but not as much as I’d like due to working so much and having other sport commitments. As well as not knowing what to do, I don’t have a regime that works for me. Any suggestions? Looking to lose weight, tone up majorly and build some muscle??

Scroll to see replies

Go gym three days a week for 2 hours each session do weights and cardio but just going to the gym won't be enough you'll need to do circuit training and a cardio when on the days you're not at the gym e.g swimming or running
Reply 2
Original post by Mixedraceguy
Go gym three days a week for 2 hours each session do weights and cardio but just going to the gym won't be enough you'll need to do circuit training and a cardio when on the days you're not at the gym e.g swimming or running

Thanks, what would you recommend being the best like circuit routine?
This seems like a weight issue, which is about 80% diet. Are you tracking calories? Are you tracking macros? If not, this is the reason you've gained excess weight- you got too comfortable and ate too much, repeatedly. What you need to do is diet. No amount of cardio and gym is going to make you lose weight if you don't diet. If you want to build muscle, include a lot of protein in your diet (1g of protein per lb of bodyweight is the general consensus). Whilst doing this, eat around 500kcals less than your maintanence calories and you should be back in shape in no time.

In regards to a gym routine, I suggest 3 times a week, full body sessions based around compound lifts. This includes squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlifts, chin ups, ect...
Don't be afraid to go heavy- it's arguably the best way to progress in the gym.

Possible routine:
Day A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift
3xAMRAP Chin-ups

Day B:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Overhead Press
5x3 Power-Clean (or just do 5x5 barbell rows if you don't want to do this)
3xAMRAP Pull-ups

Do 3 days a week (e.g. ABA BAB ABA BAB), taking at least one rest day between each gym session.
This routine is essentially Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe, so I in no way take any credit.
This routine saves a lot of time as it should only take you around 45 mins. As you do other sports, I didn't include any cardio but you could add in some HIIT training at the end if you wanted to be able to eat a bit more calories.
Original post by DaniCaton

Beginner circuit training regime follow this every other day and you will get shredded

30 press ups x4
50 sit ups x4
Cycle kicks for 30 seconds x4
Leg raises for 30 seconds x4
Plank 90 seconds x4
50 Crunches x 4

Have a 3 minute rest after each set and make sure you eat protein and carbs before and a high protein meal after the session
Beginner circuit training regime follow this every other day and you will get shredded

30 press ups x4
50 sit ups x4
Plank 90 seconds x4
50 Crunches x 4

Have a 3 minute rest after each set and make sure you eat protein and carbs before and a high protein meal after the session

"you will get shredded" Really? Even if she's eating 3k calories per day? I don't think so.
"eat protein and carbs before and a high protein meal after the session" Meal times don't matter. Protein after the session isn't even important, it takes 3 hours to digest minimum.
Original post by DaniCaton

As @Zalvager said above, you can do all the training you like, but at the end of the day weight loss is governed by caloric intake. If you use more calories than you consume, you lose weight, it's really that simple. There's no evidence to show that any type of training burns fat better than another. Use a TDEE calculator to work out roughly how many calories you use up per day, then start off by eating 300-500 fewer calories than your TDEE. Weight yourself first thing every Monday morning. If no weight has been lost that week, reduce calories further. Consider having a cheat meal every couple of weeks to give your metabolism a kick up the arse.

As for training, this program is suitable for both men and women https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4853194
Original post by Zalvager
"you will get shredded" Really? Even if she's eating 3k calories per day? I don't think so.
"eat protein and carbs before and a high protein meal after the session" Meal times don't matter. Protein after the session isn't even important, it takes 3 hours to digest minimum.

Nah she'll need to get her macros right and she'll need carbs before her workout for energy of course?
She doesn't need to change her eating schedule, just how much she eats. If she worked out in the morning, without any carbs, she'd be fine. Escpecially as your workout has no strength training (apart from possibly press-ups). Most things in your program are core excersises, but she is likely too high in body fat to see any visible abs, no matter how much core excersises she does. She is better off building muscle with some weight training, and simultaneously losing body fat, than training her core three times a week for no reason.
Nah she'll need to get her macros right and she'll need carbs before her workout for energy of course?

30 press ups x4
50 sit ups x4
Plank 90 seconds x4
50 Crunches x 4

Oops i attacked you because I thought she indeed wanted to lose weight, but she wants to tone up! Nvm ignore me
(edited 5 years ago)
She doesn't need to change her eating schedule, just how much she eats. If she worked out in the morning, without any carbs, she'd be fine. Escpecially as your workout has no strength training (apart from possibly press-ups). Most things in your program are core excersises, but she is likely too high in body fat to see any visible abs, no matter how much core excersises she does. She is better off building muscle with some weight training, and simultaneously losing body fat, than training her core three times a week for no reason.

I agree she prolly needs a calorie reduction Wouldn't getting the macros right get her better results? Yeah I instructed that she does core workouts on the days she doesn't go to the gym (where she should do weight training) alongside some cardio
OP, do you want to lose weight or gain it? To tone, you need to build muscle mass which means your weight is likely to increase or remain the same. I think you want to burn fat, but when you end up getting toned up don't be discouraged by a bigger number on the scale.
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Oops i attacked you because I thought she indeed wanted to lose weight, but she wants to tone up! Nvm ignore me

Yeah it's not fully clear if she wants to tone up while losing weight or tone up and stay around the same weight cus of course muscle weighs more than fat so she might end up the same weight or maybe a few pounds heavier
you can do both at the same time. Why would she bulk up when she wants to tone lmao
OP, do you want to lose weight or gain it? To tone, you need to build muscle mass which means your weight is likely to increase or remain the same. I think you want to burn fat, but when you end up getting toned up don't be discouraged by a bigger number on the scale.
you can do both at the same time. Why would she bulk up when she wants to tone lmao

Bulk? Muscle weighs more than fat, if she tones she is gaining muscle mass = more or equal weight.OP wants to lose weight, but its clear they don't care about the numbers on the scale but rather their excess fat - from that, I infer losing weight meant "burning fat" which indeed they can do as they tone up.
(edited 5 years ago)
I agree she prolly needs a calorie reduction Wouldn't getting the macros right get her better results? Yeah I instructed that she does core workouts on the days she doesn't go to the gym (where she should do weight training) alongside some cardio

Oh I didn't realise these were off day excersises, soz. Macros or calories would gather similar results as long as she hits sufficient protein and calories. Hitting specific carbs and fats everyday is too much work for most people, and they lose motivation quickly. But I agree, it would be better. Macros make up a persons body composition.
She can gain muscle whilst losing fat at the same time. You suggested gaining weight. This would result in little to no fat loss because she would have to eat at a calorie surplus. Do you understand what you are saying?
Muscle does weigh more than fat, but muscle takes a hell of a lot longer to gain, and she will not be gaining more muscle than losing fat at the same time. That would be impossible.
Bulk? Muscle weighs more than fat, if she tones she is gaining muscle mass = more or equal weight.OP wants to lose weight, but its clear they don't care about the numbers on the scale but rather their excess fat - from that, I infer losing weight meant "burning fat" which indeed they can do as they tone up.
She can gain muscle whilst losing fat at the same time. You suggested gaining weight. This would result in little to no fat loss because she would have to eat at a calorie surplus. Do you understand what you are saying?
Muscle does weigh more than fat, but muscle takes a hell of a lot longer to gain, and she will not be gaining more muscle than losing fat at the same time. That would be impossible.

Yes, I said she can gain muscle whilst losing fat - please read.

I did not _suggest_ gaining weight? Please read, again. I never suggested anything. I said that the consequence of gaining muscle mass is a likely gain in weight (Kilograms, like when you step on a scale, if you know what that is?)

You are incredibly rude, and also have an inability to read. I did not tell her to gain weight at all. She WILL gain weight if she tones up because toning creates more muscle (and since muscle weighs more than fat, as you said, this means that in the end she may weigh more than when she started - many fitness and personal trainers show this that despite looking lean and toned they weigh the same as in pictures where they were fat).

I literally said at the end of the post you quoted, she can burn fat and tone up at the same time.
(edited 5 years ago)
This thread is making my brain hurt... why do people insist on overcomplicating such basic things? I'll bullet point a bunch of basic principles of getting in shape, some messes need clearing up:

1) Calories are THE main determinate of how much weight you lose. If you use more than you consume, you lose weight.

2) You do not need to track all your macros. It's a good idea to aim for a certain amount of protein for muscle sparing purposes, but unless you have some sort of eating disorder then your carbs and fats will balance out on their own just by eating normal meals within your caloric "budget". The only people who should be concerned with meticulously managing their macros are bodybuilders in the final stages of their prep looking to manipulate glycogen and water levels.

3) Meal timing is mostly irrelevant. If you feel you have more energy having a carby meal as your last meal before training then go for it, and it's a good idea to eat a balanced meal post workout to aid recovery.

4) There's no such thing as toning. You either lose weight or gain it. Ideally, you either lose fat or gain muscle. I don't even know what toning is supposed to mean. You increase your muscle definition by losing fat, and if you end up looking skinny at low bodyfat you need to build muscle. It's possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time only under certain circumstances, namely if you're new to weight training, you've previously been in shape and are coming back from not training, or you're using drugs.

5) In terms of cardio, do what you want to do that you enjoy. It shouldn't be anything intense like circuit training if you're also on a weight training program, as you may run into recovery issues. Some jogging, cycling or something fun like tennis or swimming can be done 2-3 days a week. Cardio is not essential to weight loss, it merely burns some extra calories - if you'd rather eat less instead, that may be an option depending on how many calories you've got to play with.

6) I posted a weight training program above suited to beginners. This will take 45-60 minutes per session and is done 3-4 days a week. For the purposes of building muscle, this is totally adequate.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, I said she can gain muscle whilst losing fat - please read.

I did not _suggest_ gaining weight? Please read, again. I never suggested anything. I said that the consequence of gaining muscle mass is a likely gain in weight (Kilograms, like when you step on a scale, if you know what that is?)

You are incredibly rude, and also have an inability to read. I did not tell her to gain weight at all. She WILL gain weight if she tones up because toning creates more muscle (and since muscle weighs more than fat, as you said, this means that in the end she may weigh more than when she started - many fitness and personal trainers show this that despite looking lean and toned they weigh the same as in pictures where they were fat).

I literally said at the end of the post you quoted, she can burn fat and tone up at the same time.

you literally said that her weight might go up. This will happen because she would be eating more than she is burning. Hence gaining both fat and muscle. If she wanted to build only muscle (what you seem to call "toning") then she would gain a miniscule amount of weight and it would go noticeably up after a year or two. Your advice not to worry if her weight goes up (as you say, in kilograms) is very worrying and it would be as a result of fat gain as muscle takes a really long time to gain.
Muscle does weigh more than fat. This line is used a lot more by fat people than bodybuilders. For a reason.
The OP should undergo a body recomposition, in which they lose weight whilst building muscle (a net loss in weight if you start off in the same position as the OP).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending