I've just started a new vinyl record collection. Any suggestions? Watch

XxSaruman82xX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, I'm open to pretty much any suggestions, from lots of different music genres, but bear in mind I'm mostly into classical music. Thanks!
Sheilaaaaahh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I don’t know any classical music but I recommend ‘The 1975’, the self titled album.
Pachuco
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
All music by shanic twain
anon444
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by XxSaruman82xX)
Hi, I'm open to pretty much any suggestions, from lots of different music genres, but bear in mind I'm mostly into classical music. Thanks!
Listen to the album Violator by Depeche Mode. It's the one that I would show to an alien to explain what an album is, because all the songs are good and still sound modern. If you find an old-school record store, they might let you listen to some records in-store before you buy (yes, they still exist but perhaps not in your town).
https://open.spotify.com/album/0Tg76...QQeCe8FOzyeppw
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Mura Masa (his self-titled album).
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Meddle, The Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd).
In the Court of the Crimson King: an Observation by King Crimson (King Crimson).
Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play (Jethro Tull).
Deep Purple In Rock (Deep Purple).
Four Symbols (Led Zeppelin).
The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (Rick Wakeman).
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (David Bowie).
Bat Out of Hell (Meat Loaf).
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts' Club Band, Abbey Road, and Let It Be (The Beatles).

...and most importantly...

Tubular Bells (Mike Oldfield).
Tulsie123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'd recommend going along to a couple of charity shops and seeing what vinyl they've got in stock. They tend to have so much classical music on offer and unless the record is rare, each record tends to cost £1 to £5. Just make sure to check for scratches before you buy.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Profan by Kampfar
XxSaruman82xX
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Tulsie123)
I'd recommend going along to a couple of charity shops and seeing what vinyl they've got in stock. They tend to have so much classical music on offer and unless the record is rare, each record tends to cost £1 to £5. Just make sure to check for scratches before you buy.
Thanks for the advice - I maybe took it a bit too far. I now have a sizeable collection of about 60 box sets (mostly opera) and 150 LPs. Aaaand my Discogs wantlist has swelled to something like 3,000.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If you're mainly into classical then I feel like the complete works of the big composers seems like a good place to start? Personally I'd be going for Mozart's Requiem in Dm, Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Holst's The Planets as those really appeal to me. They might be considered "basic" in the classical world, but if you enjoy something, then the opinions of others are irrelevant.
Last edited by Manitude; 5 months ago
XxSaruman82xX
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Thank you! I already have a recording of Mozart Requiem, and Holst's The Planets. Of the standard classical repertoire I also have pretty much all of the Beethoven symphonies, some of Mozart's symphonies, some of his piano concertos and sonatas, Faure Requiem, Brahms' Ein Deitsches Requiem, Peer Gynt, l'ora of violin concertos, some Mahler symphonies and the New World Symphony. As I said, Ibalso collect opera - I already have a great deal of what could be considered the standard operatic repertoire - Boheme, Butterfly, Turandot, Don Giovanni, Le nozze di Figaro, Così Fan Tutte, Otello, Traviata, Il Trovatore, Rigoletto, Don Carlos, Un Ballo in Maschera, Das Rheingold, Tristan und Isolde, Pagliacci, Cavalleria Rusticana, as well as many more outside the standard repertoire. Once again thanks!
withered.rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
RED by Taylor Swift. Beautiful on vinyl
GeolPhysics
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I've got a vinyl record of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue so I suggest that one. Started my vinyl collection this year and bought all of mine second hand for a decent price. Now I have like 30 vinyl records.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads