Physics at University of Aberdeen or Royal Holloway Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have two unconditional offers for Physics (with Philosophy) from Royal Holloway and Aberdeen. I really can't decide, because I have heard bot good and bad things about the Universities.
Being an international Student Royal Holloway is more apealing location wise (with London 40min away). But I think that Aberdeen has a better reputation...
Basically I am at a piont where one day I wake up and want to go to Aberdeen and the next it's Royal Holloway.
(Sadly I can't visit the Unis as I am currently in Chile...)

Does anyone know both Unis (or one) and can give me any advice? Or is there maybe a Physics student that can help me, with what is important to consider when choosing a Uni for Physics?

Please help me!!! I'm really lost haha
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have two unconditional offers for Physics (with Philosophy) from Royal Holloway and Aberdeen. I really can't decide, because I have heard bot good and bad things about the Universities.
Being an international Student Royal Holloway is more apealing location wise (with London 40min away). But I think that Aberdeen has a better reputation...
Basically I am at a piont where one day I wake up and want to go to Aberdeen and the next it's Royal Holloway.

Does anyone know both Unis (or one) and can give me any advice? Or is there maybe a Physics student that can help me, with what is important to consider when choosing a Uni for Physics?

look at the courses specifically, do you prefer the content of either course?
Royal Holloway, University of London
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hey!

I am a second year Physics student at Royal Holloway. I understand picking a university can be quite stressful, especially with your offers.

From my personal experience in choosing universities, I looked at mainly the research in each department, as in the end, you will be taught by those researchers, and participate in their projects for your third year final project. At Royal Holloway, all the research is world leading, and I find it amazing to have those researchers, working in CERN, or even leaders of the search of Dark Matter, as my teachers and tutors. What I like the most about Royal Holloway, is that it is a small-medium sized university, and as it is campus based, it has a very nice community feel. This translates directly into the department. We have a 6.5:1 student staff ratio, which means that by the end of first year, you end up knowing who most of the staff members are, as well as the rest of the students. I really wanted to go to a place where I would be more than just a number to my professors, and that's what I found at Royal Holloway. They have an open door policy, so you can pop by and ask them questions whenever, or just send them an email. I've found that very helpful, as I was too shy to ask any questions during the lectures.

Overall, what I would advice you to do when choosing a Physics department, is to focus on their research, how many students they have, and the location. In the end, all accredited Institute Of Physics courses have more or less the same structure, it's more the feeling you get from the community you're in that impacts your time at university.

If you have any more questions, you can talk to me on the Royal Holloway website here and I'd be happy to help!

Anna
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (453)
38%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.57%

Watched Threads