TheJohnM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I’m in halls and twice now in the last two weeks at around 00:00:0100 someone has thrown something very hard at my ground floor dorm window ...almost breaking it. 5 minutes later someone kept alongside my exterior wall and slammed their hands on my window and ran(I only saw their hands).

If it’s just banter by ppl returning from the club fair enough(even though it’s over the top) but I honestly think this is a lone person trying to intimidate/scare me. If it was banter you would hear laughing and more than 1 person. When I ran out to see nobody was there.

I’ve reported it to get the cctv footage(a camera looks directly into my window from one of the opposite buildings. Am I overreacting? I’m honestly ready to run out as fast as possible next time and hurt him since almost breaking my window isn’t “banter” regardless.
Advertisement
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by TheJohnM)
I’m in halls and twice now in the last two weeks at around 00:00:0100 someone has thrown something very hard at my ground floor dorm window ...almost breaking it. 5 minutes later someone kept alongside my exterior wall and slammed their hands on my window and ran(I only saw their hands).

If it’s just banter by ppl returning from the club fair enough(even though it’s over the top) but I honestly think this is a lone person trying to intimidate/scare me. If it was banter you would hear laughing and more than 1 person. When I ran out to see nobody was there.

I’ve reported it to get the cctv footage(a camera looks directly into my window from one of the opposite buildings. Am I overreacting? I’m honestly ready to run out as fast as possible next time and hurt him since almost breaking my window isn’t “banter” regardless.
If it genuinely frightened you, you have every right to report it. Has it happened more than once?
nulogicsound
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

I don't think you're overreacting at all as this would frighten the life out of me (I'm quite a jumpy person!) I can understand why some might think this is funny whilst drunk and if I'm deadly honest, I've been guiltily of doing similar when returning home from clubbing but it's either personal or just bad luck being on the ground floor.

It's either someone you know thinking they are funny or an issue the university needs to manage as it might be that you're not the only ground floor resident experiencing this. If it turns out it's some idiot that you know, could you get moved? I guess at least first year is nearly over - are you moving out of halls soon?
Advertisement
Unexpectedly
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Funny I should read this, as although I don't live in any student accommodation, I've had something just like this happen for two or three nights last week, but it stopped when I left the outside light on. :lolwut:
username1976009
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Honestly, this is appalling behavior especially if it is by some idiot who is drunk. You just don't go to uni if you're going to behave like an *******
Advertisement
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

You are right to report it. It's just the sort of nasty, intimidating behaviour that some people like to get drunk to do so that they can run their most unpleasant angry and bullying attitudes at you and feel somehow justified.

I hope the campus authorities track down who it is for you.
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I don't think you're overreacting at all.

It's seriously not acceptable behaviour and is likely a criminal offence.

I'd report it to your halls and if it happens again advance a formal complaint and inform your institution welfare team, seeking advice and support (they'll likely have more pull than you). Send emails confirming any verbal communication so there is a good audit trail and no-one can pretend that they were not informed/aware.

If there's a night security guard it's worth having a casual word too - they tend to get very bored and knowing there's a location and project that they can work on will likely be very welcome.

Clearly if this is an ongoing issue with behaviour/welfare and there needs to be better CCTV or security patrols. While you may be able to cope with it, it could have serious implications for other residents.

The good news is it is almost certainly just immature students so isn't worth, if possible, getting upset about. Putting yourself in any situation which might result in a physical confrontation is absolutely not worth it.
Last edited by JTfoxlove; 11 months ago
Advertisement
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
Perhaps setup a webcam facing out the window and leave it recording overnight, you can get a cheap IR light to provide nightvision as well.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
+1 not over react. If its deliberate even as a prank have no issue reporting them. Good nights sleep is important. Report it now so they can point the cctv at it.
Advertisement
lostplot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

You are NOT Over-reacting...I would be so scared!
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

You were brave to run out! I would never have the guts to do that !
Advertisement
TheJohnM
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by SmartUnicorn)
You were brave to run out! I would never have the guts to do that !
I’m 22 and everyone in halls is 18/19 due to me starting university late so I’m not that brave.
Last edited by TheJohnM; 11 months ago
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’m 22 and everyone in halls is 18/19 due to me starting university late so I’m not that brave.
you're very brave to start uni "older"

that bein said, Im sorry for scaring ya, twas only banter
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (41)
59.42%
No (28)
40.58%

Watched Threads