What is your opinion on the research and treatments of cancer? Watch

Manixoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
This is for a project, and I would like as much opinions as I can get.
Please state your occupation, opinion and personal experience please when you answer.

I appreciate it loads, even if your understanding is vague it will help a lot 😭💕
Obolinda
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That it's a good thing
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's great that its no longer the absolute death sentence it was decades ago and it's great it has so much awareness but it would be nice if other conditions and ailments could get a look in. It's always cancer cancer cancer, other charities and sicknesses exist
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Opinion: the molecular mechanisms that cause cancer are complex, making them an absolute ball ache to study. Which is why despite considerable spending on cancer research, progress has been slow. That said, we have still made a lot of progress, which can be seen in the falling cancer mortality statistics.

Personal experience: My Dad was diagnosed with cancer last summer. He is now in complete remission.
Last edited by Trotsky's Iceaxe; 2 months ago
Gingertraveller
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Look into the keto diet
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Proprietary science is a barrier to progress.
looloo2134
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I had friends and family who have had cancer.
(Original post by Manixoo)
Please state your occupation, opinion and personal experience please when you answer.

I appreciate it loads, even if your understanding is vague it will help a lot 😭💕
(Original post by CoolCavy)
It's great that its no longer the absolute death sentence it was decades ago and it's great it has so much awareness but it would be nice if other conditions and ailments could get a look in. It's always cancer cancer cancer, other charities and sicknesses exist
I agree in a way about cancer I had a relative who died at sixteen-year-old of heart disease a lot of people are not aware of heart disease in young people and children.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
I had friends and family who have had cancer.

I agree in a way about cancer I had a relative who died at sixteen-year-old of heart disease a lot of people are not aware of heart disease in young people and children.
Yeh exactly, people seem to think stuff like that is exclusively for old people. Even within cancer there is a lot of them that dont get attention, breast cancer and stuff is heavily covered compared to like prostrate cancer
COCONUT321
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Manixoo)

Olive leaf extract, colloidal silver, raw food, sprouted food.
looloo2134
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't know a lot about cancer but it does seem to get a lot of covered my cousin just has just recovered for testicle cancer which has a high rate of recovery.
Yeh exactly, people seem to think stuff like that is exclusively for old people. Even within cancer there is a lot of them that dont get attention, breast cancer and stuff is heavily covered compared to like prostrate cancer
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The BHF’s current advertising campaign heavily features a child who has had surgery for congenital heart disease, so they’re trying to raise awareness.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't know a lot about cancer but it does seem to get a lot of covered my cousin just has just recovered for testicle cancer which has a high rate of recovery.
Glad your cousin recovered :hugs:
looloo2134
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Heart disease scares me in the young because so many people don't know about it. One example almost every year a person under 40 dies of a heart attack doing the London Fun Run.
(Original post by moonkatt)
The BHF’s current advertising campaign heavily features a child who has had surgery for congenital heart disease, so they’re trying to raise awareness.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Heart disease scares me in the young because so many people don't know about it. One example almost every year a person under 40 dies of a heart attack doing the London Fun Run.
They don’t usually die from heart attacks, they suffer cardiac arrests (due to a number of causes) which are a different thing.

There is work being done out there though.

There are young people out there with undiagnosed heart disease, be that some forms of congenital heart disease, or people with funny arrhythmogenic conditions like WPW, there are screening programmes out there ran by charities such as the BHF and CRY (cardiac risk in the young), more people have approached these charities following some high profile incidents where sportspeople have suffered cardiac arrests. Cardiac screening is also becoming much more common in sports clubs and not only in professional ones.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)

Opinion: the molecular mechanisms that cause cancer are complex, making them an absolute ball ache to study. Which is why despite considerable spending on cancer research, progress has been slow.
Slow?! Cancer?! You mean arguably the quickest evolving area of medicine?!

Heard of herceptin? Heard of immunotherapy? Heard of stereotactic radiosurgery? Heard of tyrosine kinase inhibitors? Cancer treatments are advancing rapidly! That's partially why it attracts so much funding (like your PhD funding ) - because its got a proven track record of producing results. The same definitely cannot be said of other areas of medicine.
Well that's largely because breast cancer kills lots of young mothers and prostate cancer, by and large, kills 80 year old men. Breast cancer is also by and large curable at the time it is picked up, whereas most prostate cancer is not. And chronic conditions never get as much attention as curable ones!
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Slow?! Cancer?! You mean arguably the quickest evolving area of medicine?!

Heard of herceptin? Heard of immunotherapy? Heard of stereotactic radiosurgery? Heard of tyrosine kinase inhibitors? Cancer treatments are advancing rapidly! That's partially why it attracts so much funding (like your PhD funding ) - because its got a proven track record of producing results. The same definitely cannot be said of other areas of medicine.

Well that's largely because breast cancer kills lots of young mothers and prostate cancer, by and large, kills 80 year old men. Breast cancer is also by and large curable at the time it is picked up, whereas most prostate cancer is not. And chronic conditions never get as much attention as curable ones!
It was just an example. There's loads of cancers breast cancer is just one of them.
Obviously, there is more money to be made from curable conditions but it would still be nice if there were EDS adverts or fibromyalgia adverts when you switch the TV on instead of constantly Marie curie and race for Life.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Rubbish. Total Biscuit died of bum cancer and he was only 35.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I was diagnosed with cancer in 2002. I was offered a trial type of very severe chemotherapy. But here I am now with two grown up sons, posting on TSR. Well done, Trotsky, for your fine work in this field.
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)

Opinion: the molecular mechanisms that cause cancer are complex, making them an absolute ball ache to study. Which is why despite considerable spending on cancer research, progress has been slow. That said, we have still made a lot of progress, which can be seen in the falling cancer mortality statistics.

Personal experience: My Dad was diagnosed with cancer last summer. He is now in complete remission.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
Rubbish. Total Biscuit died of bum cancer and he was only 35.
Kind of afraid to ask what you think the prostate is...
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Kind of afraid to ask what you think the prostate is...
It doesn't matter what it is large amounts of people are dying early because of this but the state is only focusing on certain cancers and that is wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (256)
32.16%
The paper was reasonable (389)
48.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (89)
11.18%
It was TERRIBLE (62)
7.79%

Watched Threads