AmnaS4387
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to be a business major in the future. Seeing as Business Studies is a soft option, I chose Economics as my first option. I also chose Psychology and English Literature. I want one more, facilitating, option. Everyone starts suggesting Maths but I am hesitant about it because I am a B student at best in Maths GCSE. I don’t want to struggle throughout my A Levels as I am, to be honest, more of an essay subject person and have to work harder than other people at Maths. I’m aiming for A but it’s going to take blood, sweat and tears. Can a B student do A Level Maths and come out with an A or A*? I want to take A Level Physics to have one science subject, because I am at an A\A* level in physics (GCSE physics has pretty basic maths), so could that be a good option? I decided against Biology because although I like it, it might be useless for a Business student. That’s pretty much it. Also, my school doesn’t offer Geography or any useful Foreign languages. Thank you!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by AmnaS4387)
I want to be a business major in the future. Seeing as Business Studies is a soft option, I chose Economics as my first option. I also chose Psychology and English Literature. I want one more, facilitating, option. Everyone starts suggesting Maths but I am hesitant about it because I am a B student at best in Maths GCSE. I don’t want to struggle throughout my A Levels as I am, to be honest, more of an essay subject person and have to work harder than other people at Maths. I’m aiming for A but it’s going to take blood, sweat and tears. Can a B student do A Level Maths and come out with an A or A*? I want to take A Level Physics to have one science subject, because I am at an A\A* level in physics (GCSE physics has pretty basic maths), so could that be a good option? I decided against Biology because although I like it, it might be useless for a Business student. That’s pretty much it. Also, my school doesn’t offer Geography or any useful Foreign languages. Thank you!
"a business major" ... what is with all these American phrases today on TSR?! unless you are doing a liberal arts degree you will not be doing a major or any minors!

if you don't want to do an economics degree then you don't need to do maths.

i think you are right to choose econ over business studies which is a bit soft.

be aware you need to have good logic skills (similar to maths) to do well in Economics A level - google image "supply and demand graphs" and interpreting them is 80% of an Economics A level

if you want to do a business degree then economics, psyc and english lit should be fine, as I will presume (on account of your maths) you are not aiming for the top 10 unis etc.
Last edited by A Rolling Stone; 5 months ago
Afterlife?
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Imo physics is Wayyy harder than maths especially if you don’t have affinity with maths. You shouldn’t compare A level sciences with gcse sciences as it’s either a lie or it’s just the tip of the iceberg and there’s actually Everest at the bottom. The easiest science for you would be biology since there are some essay questions but it’s still hard as it is a science and you shouldn’t pick a science if you want something easy.
AmnaS4387
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
"a business major" ... what is with all these American phrases today on TSR?! unless you are doing a liberal arts degree you will not be doing a major or any minors!

if you don't want to do an economics degree then you don't need to do maths.

i think you are right to choose econ over business studies which is a bit soft.

be aware you need to have good logic skills (similar to maths) to do well in Economics A level - google image "supply and demand graphs" and interpreting them is 80% of an Economics A level

if you want to do a business degree then economics, psyc and english lit should be fine, as I will presume (on account of your maths) you are not aiming for the top 10 unis etc.
Wow you are incredibly rude.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
what was rude about my post? you should show some gratitude for advice.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
That wasn't rude. If you're not going to an American uni, nor taking a liberal arts course, then the word 'major' indeed doesn't apply.

If you're looking for business courses you'll have to check the subject requirements if you're not sure. Generally you will need maths for economics courses, but since that's not what you're going for...
A-level physics on its own is generally not that helpful and you already have 3 A-levels anyway.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 5 months ago
AmnaS4387
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
what was rude about my post? you should show some gratitude for advice.
What was rude was saying I’m not aiming for a Top 10 university. How do you know that? I never even said I’m ruling out maths, I just said I’m hesitant about it and asked if a B student can do it and score well. And I didn’t know “major” was an American term, i just meant I want to get a BBA degree and do Business. And as for “gratitude”, I’m always grateful for advice, I even said “thank you” in my question, its just that you sounded really rude about some things.
Last edited by AmnaS4387; 5 months ago
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What was rude was saying I’m not aiming for a Top 10 university. How do you know that? I never even said I’m ruling out maths, I just said I’m hesitant about it and asked if a B student can do it and score well. And I didn’t know “major” was an American term, i just meant I want to get a BBA degree and do Business. And as for “gratitude”, I’m always grateful for advice, I even said “thank you” in my question, its just that you sounded really rude about some things.
A B maths student is indeed Russel Group calibre but not 10 top calibre... but you might surprise yourself with all 8 and 9s in your GCSEs so who knows.

the US liberal arts degrees (available at some unis here such as Birmingham) is where you study a 'major' eg. Business studies which is only 25-40% of your degree. the other 70% of your degree is made up of loads of different subjects of your choice, and potentially a 'minor' such as Economics
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
That wasn't rude. If you're not going to an American uni, nor taking a liberal arts course, then the word 'major' indeed doesn't apply.

If you're looking for business courses you'll have to check the subject requirements if you're not sure. Generally you will need maths for economics courses, but since that's not what you're going for...
A-level physics on its own is generally not that helpful and you already have 3 A-levels anyway.
I agree
TheUltimateHulk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Maybe take history - you said you prefer essay subjects so that would be the best idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.8%
Disagree (10)
6.54%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.68%
Agree (58)
37.91%
Strongly Agree (20)
13.07%

Watched Threads