Should I advise my sister to do Triple Science GCSE ?

Watch
SammyBanya
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently doing triple science GCSE, and hating it. I feel like I have lost the zeal and passion I had for science when starting it in year 10. I also hated the way my school structured it. There was one triple science class, who were timetabled differently to the rest of the year, meaning that I was in a class with the same people for English, maths, all three sciences and RE. And coincidentally, I ended up picking the exact same option subjects as many of these people, meaning that I am around the same people, every day. Although many of the people in the class are so lovely, there are some people who irritate me when they open their mouths. You can tell everyone else is exhausted as well, as so much drama has happened over nothing, and it's even more awkward because the people who beef are in the same class.

Anyways... my sister goes to a different school, so doesn't have to put up with this nonsense and terrible class structure. She currently does have a lot of interest in science, and seems more likely to pursue a career in science than I was at her age. However as she is about to pick her options, she is unsure about whether to do triple science, so as to avoid the state that I am in, where she loses interest in science.

Do you guys think I should encourage her to do it ? Did you pick triple science? Why or why not ? And how have your experiences of it been ?
Last edited by SammyBanya; 2 years ago
JackFitz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm currently in year 10, and in my school we have 2 extra science lessons than the combined students. It's really not an issue if she's got a good class that she doesn't mind spending a lot of time with. Even if there are a few people she dislikes in the class, she could just let the teacher know that they're distracting her from her work and they will most likely just move her away from those people in her class. If she's really passionate about the subject then it's definitely worth taking triple. As well as this, if the subject has multiple teachers like mine does, the triple class is more likely to get the best/most experienced teacher in the subject. If she takes combined science, she will still be able to go on to a scientific career, but the few extra topics in triple will help in A-level so it's worth keeping in mind.
pineapple04
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
II'd say tell her to do it, if she's at a different school there's a chance she won't have the same problems as you with her class. If people annoy her she can always talk to the teacher about it, and if it gets too bad there's always a chance she could go to combined as a worst case scenario. If she wants to pursue a career in science and enjoys it doing triple could be pretty good for her, you don't know how it'll turn out but try and support her either way, and try not to let your own experiences influence her too much.
I'm doing triple and it's been pretty good, although most of my school does triple so that could be affecting that. Sciences are my favourite subjects so getting to do more of them is great, if your sister likes them too she'll probably enjoy it. Hope it turns out alright whatever she goes for
ElGriffo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im in year 11 and Im doing triple, my class for the majority is very good but there are a few people which drag us behind, they are all doing foundation triple. triple is the best way to study science at GCSE imo because you cover everything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (169)
44.13%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.97%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.09%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.67%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed